ricardo hohl
ricardo hohl, Instructor
Experience:  ase master/factory certified/and automotive instructor
14457476

Plymouth..check engine light..the battery light show up in the cluster

i got a 1999 plymouth breeze. Im not getting full power to start the car. The check engine light dont come on, nor does the battery light show up in the cluster. now the Green wire that go to the starter had ground against the starter. I check the fuses and didnt find none blowed
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 3 years ago.

ricardo hohl :

hi, do you mean the engine will not crank over do to power lost?

ricardo hohl :

do the head lights operate?

ricardo hohl :

are you sure the battery is fully charge?

ricardo hohl :

can you tell me the engine size?

Customer :

The engine will not turn over , but headed lights do come on. The battery is fully charge. It has an 2.0 engine

Customer :

correct

Customer :

It was cranking but i change the water pump and timing but the car was cranking just fine

ricardo hohl :

ok, can you turn the head lights on and turn the key to crank position see if the lights will dim as you turn the key to the cranking position.

ricardo hohl :

take your time let me know when ready

ricardo hohl :

if the lights dont dim then we need to check the fusible link in the fuse box o the left front of the engine you need to check fuse # XXXXX this is a 20 amps fuse located at the engine compartment relay and fuse centerleft front of the engine

Customer :

i check the fuses and know fuses wasnt blown. now is the fusible link in the fuse box

Customer :

is the fusible link in the fuse box

ricardo hohl :

the fuse #8 is on the fuse box with the relays located at the engine compartment have you found this relay and fuse box, and do you see the 20 amps #8 fuse?

Customer :

i dont know which one is #8. I use a test light on all my fuses and wasnt no fuses blown

ricardo hohl :

ok was that at the engine compartment?

Customer :

What is the green wire going down to the started because it was the one that had came a loose and had grounded to the starter

Customer :

yes i check the fuses under the hood and in the car as well

ricardo hohl :

did you do the head lights test? turn the lights on and crank the engine see if the lights dim if they do then the ignition switch , wiring from the inside of the vehicle is OK, the starter relay is getting power and the safety switch is good the results will lid us to the starter solenoid or the output on the relay ,can you do the test please

Customer :

no the lights do not dim

Customer :

like i stated earlier the car was cranking just fine before i put a timing belt and water pump on it

Customer :

When i turn the ignition switch on doesnt nothing show but the brake symbol and digital PRND

ricardo hohl :

ok lest check the safety neutral switch turn the key to the crank position hold the key there and move the shifter slowly from park position and in to reverse and neutral and all the other gears and then back to park and see if the engine cranks over then in any gear

ricardo hohl :

i understand that is all you did but we need to check all this possible components to narrow down to the problem

ricardo hohl :

just bear with me.

Customer :

I EVEN JUMP THE START WITH THE IGNITION SWITCH IN THE ON POSITION THE CAR TURN OVER BUT STILL DIDNT CRANK. IM ALSO NOT GETTING ANY FIRE TO MY COIL PACK.

ricardo hohl :

OK

Full Size Image
looking at this picture locate the relay.
Full Size Image

ricardo hohl :

replace the relay with another relay in the same box just to try and crank the engine see if any luck.

ricardo hohl :

let me know the results and lest continue, do you have a test light?

Customer :

I HAVE ALREADY DONE THAT

ricardo hohl :

ok do you have a test light?

Customer :

YES I DO

ricardo hohl :

OK pull the relay out turn the key to on no crank and check for power on the connector see how many powers you have and if you do tell me the number of the pin that has power looking at the relay picture i send you before .

Customer :

THE BIG RELYS OR THE SMALL ONE

ricardo hohl :

OK, is 3 O'clock in the morning here lest continue in the morning if you dont mind i will email you to continue in the morning sorr\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

ricardo hohl :

Full Size Image

ricardo hohl :

the big relay with the words starter motor relay.

ricardo hohl :

hi. would you like to continue?

Customer :

yes i did what u said and i dont have any fire on that relay plus i dont have any fire on my PCM fuse either

ricardo hohl :

ok, then there is a problem in the integrated module that is the relay box, the pcm fuse should have power on both end of the fuse. doe it?

Customer :

no dont have power on neither side

ricardo hohl :

ok, lest try this put power to the fuse by using a wire strait from the battery and in to the fuse.

Customer :

i did that and i got power on the inside and the car started

ricardo hohl :

ok then the relay box is not good and needs replacing

ricardo hohl :

the fuse feeds itself from the relay box and across the fuse it goes to the pcm the pcm powers up and turns on all the relays and then the relays will do the work necessary to crank ,send fuel, and control spark when cranking to start

Customer :

thats the 4 main relays u sent me a diagram of

ricardo hohl :

yes.

Customer :

is it hard to replace

ricardo hohl :

and the part that needs replacing is the box they plug in to

Customer :

is it hard to replace the box

ricardo hohl :

no is not hard is really just a plug and play box with a couple of 10 millimeters screws holding it in place. you do need to disconnect the battery before removing it.

ricardo hohl, Instructor
Experience: ase master/factory certified/and automotive instructor