Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

chrysler sebring: what is the proper installation sequence

Customer Question

what is the proper installation sequence for installing a timing belt tensoner on a 2005 chrysler sebring with a 2.4 liter engine
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

hi

this may help you

thanks

2.4L Engine

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
  2. Disconnect battery negative cable from remote negative terminal on shock tower and properly isolate to prevent accidental reconnection.
  3. Place a suitable floor jack under the vehicle to support the engine.
  4. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable Engine mount insulator mounting bolt Engine mount bracket Engine mount stopper
  5. Remove or disconnect the following:

Right inner splash-shield Radiator reservoir tank Accessory drive belts Water pump pulley Crankshaft damper/pulley Timing belt upper and lower covers
  6. Align the timing marks of the timing belt sprockets to the timing marks on the rear timing belt cover and oil pump cover.
    NOTE Do not rotate the crankshaft or the camshafts after the timing belt has been removed. Damage to the valve components may occur. Before removing the timing belt, always align the timing marks.
  7. Remove or disconnect the following:
    NOTE If the timing belt is to be reused, draw an arrow indicating the direction of rotation on the back of the belt for reinstallation.

Timing belt Tensioner pulley Auto-tensioner
  8. Loosen the timing belt tension pulley fixing bolt, then move the tension pulley to the water pump side.
    NOTE Snugging the bolt when the tension pulley is on the water pump side will facilitate removal of the timing belt.

9. FIG : Engine bracket removal-2.4L engine

image

10. FIG : Turn the crankshaft in the forward direction only to align the timing marks-2.4L engine image

11. FIG : Location of the tension pulley fixing bolt-2.4L engine image

12. FIG : Exploded view of the timing belt and related components-image

13. To install:

1. Apply 22-44 lbs. (98-196 N) of force to the pushrod of the auto tensioner by pushing it against a metal object (ex. engine block). Measure the movement of the pushrod. Standard value is within 0.04 in. (1mm). A is the length when it is free (not pressed). B is the length when it is pressed. If the measurement is outside A minus B, replace the tensioner.
    2. Place the tensioner in a vise and slowly compress the pushrod until pin hole A of the pushrod and pinhole B of the tensioner cylinder are aligned. Press slowly to avoid damaging the pushrod. When the holes are aligned, insert a suitable pin to lock the pushrod in the compressed position.
      NOTE When replacing the tensioner with a new part, it will come pre-compressed with a pin.
    3. Align the timing marks on the camshaft sprocket, crankshaft sprocket and oil pump sprocket.
    4. Remove the cylinder block plug and insert a Phillips head 0.3 inch (8mm) screwdriver. The screwdriver must go in 2.4 inches (60mm) or more. If the screwdriver only goes in 0.8-1.0 inch (20-25mm), it is hitting the counterbalance shaft. If the screwdriver hits the counterbalance shaft, turn the sprocket once, realign the marks and insert the screwdriver again. Do not take the screwdriver out until the timing belt is installed.
    5. Install or connect the following:

Timing belt starting at the crankshaft, oil pump sprocket and camshaft sprocket, in that order, so there is no slack.
    6. Set the tension pulley so that the pin holes are at the bottom, press the tension pulley lightly against the timing belt and tighten the fixing bolt.
    7. Adjust belt tension as follows:
      1. After turning the crankshaft 1 / 4 revolution counterclockwise, turn it in the clockwise direction until the timing marks are aligned.
        WARNING When tightening the fixing bolt, make sure the tension pulley does not turn with the bolt.
      2. Loosen the tension pulley fixing bolt, and use special tool MD998767 or a suitable timing belt tensioning tool and tighten the fixing bolt to 32-40 ft. lbs. (42-54 Nm) while applying tension of 31 inch lbs. (3.5 Nm) to the timing belt.
        NOTE You will need a beam-type or torque wrench or a torque-measuring wrench

3. FIG : Measuring the auto tensioner-2.4L engine

image

4. FIG : Compress the pushrod until holes A image

5. FIG : Tensioning timing belt with Special Tool MD998767 image

6. Remove the set pin from the tensioner.
      7. Turn the crankshaft 2 revolutions clockwise so that the timing marks are aligned. After leaving it for 15 minutes, measure the amount of protrusion of the auto-tensioner. It should be 0.15-0.18 in. (3.8-5.5 Nm). If the measurement is outside the specifications, repeat steps A.-D.
      8. Make sure the timing marks of each sprocket are still aligned.

Front and rear timing belt covers Engine mount stopper Engine mount bracket Engine mount insulator mounting bolt and tighten to 60 ft. lbs. (81 Nm)
      9. Remove the floor jack from under the vehicle.

Crankshaft damper and tighten the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm) Water pump pulley Accessory drive belts Radiator reservoir tank Right inner splash-shield
      10. Properly fill the cooling system.
      11. Connect the negative battery cable.
      12. Check for leaks and proper engine and cooling system operation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
this is not the proper info for the engine i have i have a 2.4 liter dohc the tensioner is not the style described in your first response

this is the 2.4

try this

thanks

Sebring 2005

Timing Belt & Sprockets

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Removal & Installation

2.4L Engine

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the left strut tower. The ground cable is equipped with a insulator grommet which should be placed on the stud to prevent the negative battery cable from accidentally grounding.
  3. Remove the right inner splash-shield.
  4. Remove the accessory drive belts.
  5. Remove the Crankshaft damper.
  6. Remove the right engine mount.
  7. Place a suitable floor jack under the vehicle to support the engine.
  8. Remove the engine mount bracket.
  9. Remove the timing belt cover.
    WARNING Do not rotate the crankshaft or the camshafts after the timing belt has been removed. Damage to the valve components may occur. Before removing the timing belt, always align the timing marks.
  10. Align the timing marks of the timing belt sprockets to the timing marks on the rear timing belt cover and oil pump cover. Loosen the timing belt tensioner bolts.
  11. Remove the timing belt and the tensioner.
  12. Remove the camshaft timing belt sprockets.
  13. Remove the crankshaft timing belt sprocket using special removal tool No. 6793.
  14. Place the tensioner into a soft-jawed vise to compress the tensioner.
  15. After compressing the tensioner, place a pin (a 5 / 64 inch Allen wrench will work) into the plunger side hole to retain the plunger until installation.

FIG : Timing belt cover bolt locations-2.4L engine

image

16. FIG : Crankshaft and camshaft alignment marks-2.4L engine

image

17. To install:

1. Using special tool No. 6792, install the crankshaft timing belt sprocket onto the crankshaft.
    2. Install the camshaft sprockets onto the camshafts. Install and tighten the camshaft sprocket bolts to 75 ft. lbs. (101 Nm).
    3. Set the crankshaft sprocket to Top Dead Center (TDC) by aligning the notch on the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing.
    4. Set the camshafts to align the timing marks on the sprockets.
    5. Move the crankshaft to 1 / 2 notch before TDC.
    6. Install the timing belt starting at the crankshaft, then around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and the tensioner pulley.
    7. Move the crankshaft sprocket to TDC to take up the belt slack.
    8. Reinstall the tensioner to the block, but do not tighten it at this time.
    9. Using a torque wrench on the tensioner pulley, apply 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm) of torque to the tensioner pulley.
    10. With torque being applied to the tensioner pulley, move the tensioner up against the tensioner pulley bracket and tighten the fasteners to 23 ft. lbs. (31 Nm).
    11. Remove the tensioner plunger pin, the tension is correct when the plunger pin can be removed and replaced easily.
    12. Rotate the crankshaft 2 revolutions and recheck the timing marks. Wait several minutes, then recheck that the plunger pin can easily be removed and installed.
    13. Install the front timing belt cover.
    14. Install the engine mount bracket.
    15. Install the right engine mount.
    16. Remove the floor jack from under the vehicle.
    17. Install the Crankshaft damper and tighten to 105 ft. lbs. (142 Nm).
    18. Install and adjust the accessory drive belts.
    19. Install the right inner splash-shield.
    20. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
    21. Perform the crankshaft and camshaft relearn alignment procedure using the DRBIII® scan tool or equivalent.