Chad
Chad, Lead Master Tech
Experience:  Electrical master,Diesel Specialist,Lead tech/ shop foreman

OBD code PO135 After replacing B1S1 o2 sensor I..shorted

OBD code PO135 After replacing B1S1 o2 sensor I am still experiencing same problem. It also has a " o2 heating elementhas failed (open or shorted). What do I look for now
Submitted: 3 years ago via Mitchell1DIY.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chad replied 3 years ago.

Chad :

You need to look for melted wires from the sensor to the PCM.If you can't find shorted(melted) wires.The PCM is what is bad.

Chad :

O2 HEATER ELEMENT
O2 SENSOR HEATER CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN
O2 SENSOR HEATER CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
ASD RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN
PCM

Chad :

Those are the possible causes

Chad :

We know it's not the ASD output circuit though

Customer :

I need some help exactly where the pcm is.

Chad :

Between the drivers side headlamp and the battery

Chad :

it has two big connectors going to it

Chad :

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the battery shield, refer to the Battery section for more information.

3. Remove the 2 upper PCM bracket bolts.

4. Remove the 2 PCM connectors.

5. Remove the headlamp, refer to the Lamps section for more information.

6. Remove the lower PCM mounting bolt.

7. Remove PCM.

Customer :

Is there a way to check the PCM itself for failure?

Chad :

you need the Dealer scan tool to do the test correctly

Customer :

Ok I will check the wiring first.

Chad :

ok

Customer :

How can I refer back to this chat session once I have more findings?

Chad :

Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the O2 Sensor harness connector.
Disconnect the PCM harness connector.
Measure the resistance of the O2 Sensor Heater Control circuit between the O2
Sensor harness connector and the PCM harness connector.
Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?
All
Yes ® Go To 5
No ® Repair the O2 Sensor Heater Control circuit for an open.
Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 5.
5 Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the PCM harness connector.
Measure the resistance of the O2 Sensor Heater Control circuit in the O2 Sensor
harness connector to ground.
Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?
All
Yes ® Repair the O2 Sensor Heater Control circuit for a short to ground.
No ® Go To 6
6 Turn the ignition off.
With the DRBIIIt, actuate the O2 Heater Test.
Measure the voltage of the ASD Relay Output circuit in the O2 Sensor harness
connector.
Is the voltage above 11.0 volts?
All
Yes ® Go To 7
No ® Repair the ASD Relay Output circuit for an open.
7 If there are no possible causes remaining, view repair. All
Repair Replace and program the Powertrain Control Module

Chad :

It will be in the questions list, you will get an email with a link to the question

Customer :

ok thanks

Chad :

let me know what you find

Chad, Lead Master Tech
Experience: Electrical master,Diesel Specialist,Lead tech/ shop foreman
Expert:  Chad replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Now I have additional problem. Without doing any thing else since chatting the other day, the vehicle will not start now. I don't know if this is related or another problem.. The first time I ran a scan I got 2 codes, PO134/PO135. After replacing O2 (B1S1) sensor and the exhaust system, the PO134 code is what I get now and the car won't start. It ran fine for a few days after replacing the O2 and today went out to start it and it wont start.
Expert:  Chad replied 3 years ago.
Unplug the O2 you changed and make sure none of the wires have melted to the exhaust. The main ASD power wire goes to the O2 and will not let it run if it shorts out to ground.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just inspected/wiggled O2 wires.O2 is on top of manifold outlet with wire coming out of top. Not near any exhaust componets. Smells like gas is present when fiiring engine. Engine wont start.
Expert:  Chad replied 3 years ago.
P0134-1/1 O2 SENSOR STAYS AT CENTER, Either that O2 is bad or the PCM is. I would have who ever you got the O2 from warrenty you one first. Because it is probably the O2. Also unplug the O2 and check both ends of the connector for terminals being pushed out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
With the replacement of the O2 sensor, is it possible that it caused the pcm to totally fail. After replacing it the car was fine (other than the MIL on) for three days. The MIL has been on for about a month till I was able to get a scanner. If the pcm was failing, the car would run fine without any other symptoms other than the light being on?
Expert:  Chad replied 3 years ago.
If the light was on for an internal PCM failure, it would run fine sometimes. The bad O2 could have burned the circuit inside the PCM itself. But I would still replace that O2 sensor again first before I would replace the PCM.