Matt J
Matt J, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Tech,10+ Yrs Experince All Makes,Advance Training GM, Toyota ,VW, Kia,Plus More
14582819

2003 PT Cruiser Tie Rod Replacement. The Old tie rod end has a collar on it between t

Customer Question

2003 PT Cruiser Tie Rod Replacement. The Old tie rod end has a collar on it between the Tie rod end and lock nut. I was able to remove the collar, how ever I can not get the tie rod end to unscrew. Alot of torque has been applied and it still won't budge. Are we missing a step or is there a trick to this? All other tie rods I've replaced unscrewed fairly easily once the lock nut was loosened. This is the passenger side is it a reverse thread? Please advise...
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Matt J replied 6 years ago.

Matt J :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be more than happy to assist you.

JACUSTOMER-76ltbi0q- :

Hi Matt

Matt J :

Ffom what I can tell you are doing everything correctly. Most likely there is a high amount of corrosion between the inner and outer tie rod or someone used lock tight on it. You will need a blow torch to heat up the outer tie rod and then try to unscrew it off. See if this works and let me know if it does not.

JACUSTOMER-76ltbi0q- :

Will propane get it hot enough?

Matt J :

It may be hot enough, but MAPP gas would work better.

JACUSTOMER-76ltbi0q- :

no luck

JACUSTOMER-76ltbi0q- :

noticed there's a groove on the bottom side of the tie rod end and sprayed liquid wrench along the grove as well. Even tried widening the groove with a chisel and still no luck even with the heat.

JACUSTOMER-76ltbi0q- :

Now we're considering replacing the entire tie rod. We fear it's rusted so bad we won't get the new one on even of we can get this one off.

JACUSTOMER-76ltbi0q- :

Would this be the next step

JACUSTOMER-76ltbi0q- :

I just seems like we are missing something

JACUSTOMER-76ltbi0q- :

Tie Rod
Full Size Image

Matt J :

Do you have the jam nut spun all the way back?

JACUSTOMER-76ltbi0q- :

yes

Matt J :

Just wanted to make sure the collar is slide back far as it will go.

JACUSTOMER-76ltbi0q- :

yup the collar is loose and spins freely

Matt J :

The only other option will be to cut the tie rod end off and replace the Inner and outer tie rods. After you cut the tie rod end off off you will need a tool to get the inner tie rod off. Which places like autozone and O'Reilly's will rent to you and then you get all of your money back.