Richard, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
18534624

2004 Dodge Durango: alarm..ignition key..remote wont work

I have a 2004 Dodge Durango and the remote to turn off the alarm is in the ignition key. Recently, the remote won't work. I thought it was the battery, but we changed the battery and it still didn't work. The dealer says we have to order a new key for $220.00, but that may not solve the problem. If it doesn't, we have to pay an additional amount $300 and up, to changed the sensor in the electronic system.

Is there a less costly way to analyse and solve this problem?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

When you put your key in the ignition and turn it on, does the alarm shut off and are you able to start your engine?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, If I manually lock the door, the alarm is automatically set. When I manually unlock the door and open the door, the alarm sounds off. When I stick the key in the ignition and start the vehicle, the alarm turns off, and the vehicle starts up.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

It sounds like you just have a faulty remote in the key. We know the the key part is working because it disables the security system once you turn the key on.

All you should need is a new key and you should be good to go. The dealer will have to program the key.

I would double check the battery connections in the remote and make sure the connections aren't broke off or don't put enough pressure on the battery.

I hope this helps, anymore questions feel free!

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Does $220 sound reasonable for a new key?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

The key(part # XXXXX) retails for $204.00 cad, so if you live in the U.S. the price may vary a little.

It only takes 10 minutes to program the key.

Thank you,

Richard, Chrysler Technician
Experience: Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.