ND-TECH
ND-TECH, CJDR Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Certified and CJDR Master
26707557

2001 PT Cruiser: interior..heater core hoses are..cap

Customer Question

No interior heat on 2001 PT Cruiser.

So far we've checked the following.
*****************************
- Upper and lower rad hoses are good and hot to the touch
- Inlet and Outlets from heater core hoses are secure, not leaking, hot to the touch
- Recent rad flush, Recent Rad cap.
- Thermostat replaced.
- Temperature gauge sits at 1/2.
- Air Blend door operational.
- All temperature control gauges functional (took the centre console out to check)
- Blower motor functional, working 100%
- Temperature Control Sending unit replaced.
- Tried burping the system (to remove any air bubbles) but unsure how long this process takes
- Vacuum lines seem good.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  ND-TECH replied 3 years ago.
Sounds like you have got a clogged heater core. What you will want to do is remove both heater core lines. Put a garden hose to one side of the core and turn it on. It should flow the same pressure and amount out as in. If not the core is clogged and will need to be replaced. Also to try and get air out of the system you will want to make sure the radiator is full and get the vehicle up to operating temp. Then fill the reservoir up some and shut the vehicle off and let it cool down. When this happens the coolant will contract and pull the coolant from the reservoir into the system
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If this is the case, a clogged heater core. Wouldn't the 2 heater lines be cold then? Currently they are both hot.
Expert:  ND-TECH replied 3 years ago.
No they both will still be hot as they are still tied into the main cooling system and getting heat from there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

With a recent radiator flush being done by a local repair/service shop. Would you say in your opinion they should have flushed the line through the heater core?

Expert:  ND-TECH replied 3 years ago.

Most places do not flush the heater core separately. Most cooling system/ radiator system flushes are either just draining the system and filling it or hooking a machine up to the lower or upper radiator hose and flushing the system. It dosent put pressure through the heater core though.

ND-TECH, CJDR Master Tech
Experience: ASE Certified and CJDR Master
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help, it's much appreciated. Laughing

Expert:  ND-TECH replied 3 years ago.
happy to help