Chad
Chad, Lead Master Tech
Experience:  Electrical master,Diesel Specialist,Lead tech/ shop foreman

Chrysler 300M At first my 2002 Chrysler 300 m 3.5L would not

At first my 2002 Chrysler 300 m 3.5L would not crank sometimes. When you turn the key there would be resistance but nothing else and after turning the key several times it would crank right up. After that sometimes the heater would be cold and suddenly warm and cool again. Then the car started stalling while driving and surging when giving alot of gas. It seemed to idle fine unless you goose the gas pedal and rpms would fall way down and then sometimes stall. It would take a few tries to get it to start back up but the starter would turn over not like the initial cranking problem. The first problems of turning the ignition and no cranking and the heating seems to have disappeared once the car started stalling. I drove it for 20 minutes on the interstate just while ago and it did not act up at all driving easy but when I accelerated to 70 it would surge. Auto zone did diagnostic and the trouble codes are as follows: po129 po0068 po10074 po456 po0351 po53 po55 po113 po108 po129 po174
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chad replied 3 years ago.

Chad :

P0068-MANIFOLD PRESSURE/THROTTLE POSITION CORRELATION - HIGH
FLOW/VACUUM LEAK, P0129-BAROMETRIC PRESSURE OUT-OF-RANGE LOW., P0174-FUEL SYSTEM 2/1 LEAN, P0456-EVAP SYSTEM SMALL LEAK, P0351-IGNITION COIL #1 CIRCUIT, P0113-INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR HIGH, P0108-MAP SENSOR HIGH., P0129-BAROMETRIC PRESSURE OUT-OF-RANGE LOW., P0174-FUEL SYSTEM 2/1 LEAN

Chad :

P0153-O2 SENSOR 2/1 SLOW RESPONSE, P0155-O2 SENSOR 2/1 HEATER PERFORMANCE

Chad :

check to make sure the intake air temp sensor is plugged in

Customer :

where is that located

Chad :

after reading all the codes and checking wiring diagrams, there is a connector on the drivers side of the car under the hood,next to the valve cover towards the front, you need to check all the pins and terminals in it.

Chad :

also on the back side of the head on the drivers side of the car. there is a little black plastic piece with on green wire going to it, trace that wire and make sure it is not rubbing on anything metal and shorting out

Customer :

ok can i check it right now?

Chad :

There is also alot of flashes for the PCM for some of the things you mentioned

Chad :

Yes, I need to switch to Q&A to post you a wire diagram, you are going to have to check each wire in the diagram for a short

Chad :

I also know of one more quick check to do if it is acting up right now

Chad :

do you mind if I switch to Q&A?

Customer :

it rarely acts up idling unless i goose the gas and then rpms fall and sometimes stalls that way but always acts as though its going to die

Customer :

just after pressing the gas pedal and letting off fast

Chad :

ok, goose it get it to act up. shut off the car, unplug the A/C high pressure switch, start it back up and try to get itto mess up again

Customer :

ok

Customer :

is that the switch right up front of motor on passenger side for the air conditioner?

Chad :

yes, it is attached to the A/C line close to the radiator on the passenger side

Customer :

ok..yeah i unplugged it and it after goosing it did the same thing but did not die

Chad :

Did you check the first two things about the connector and the plastic thing with the green wire?

Customer :

is the little black box with green wire about an inch long?

Customer :

because we found something like that little connector that was very corroded or meltled or something like that

Chad :

yes it is

Customer :

that little thing looks damaged

Chad :

If it is melted you have a short to ground on the main power feed to most of the circuits

Chad :

you need to trace the wire that is attached to it and find where it is rubbing on something metal

Customer :

yeah it it kinda crumbly

Chad :

that is the problem

Chad :

is there still a wire connected to it?

Customer :

yes there is

Customer :

is that a ground wire?

Chad :

no that is a power wire

Chad :

that is and ASD relay output wire

Chad :

it powers all the injectors, coils,O2 sensors, andmost of the sensors

Customer :

the one we found is connected to a connector on the manifold. is it still the same one you think?

Chad :

yes, that wire splices offto all types of places

Chad :

can you tell somewhere on that wire what color it is?

Customer :

oh it does..so we need to follow the green wire and look for where the wire is touching metal? is it green all the way?

Customer :

looks greenish

Chad :

it should have a little orange tracer line on the green

Chad :

But yes it stays green to everywhere it goes, there is a few splices in the wire, you will probably need to remove the plenium to trace the entire thing.

Chad :

the most common place I have seen this wire short is at the front of the exhaust manifold by the big connector on the drivers side

Customer :

my husband unhooked that connector and started to plug it back up and it sparked and now cant start the car back...did he mess something up

Chad :

No he probably blew the fuse

Chad :

Fuse S in the PDC

Chad :

it is a dark green wire with a light green tracer on it

Customer :

let me look at it again

Customer :

yes it is

Chad :

that is the power wire for the injectors, coils, short runner valve, 20 amp fuse in the PDC and the ASD relay is where the power starts

Customer :

oh..can he just replace that wire and connector?

Customer :

or will it short again?

Chad :

you will have to find where it shorted, the fix the short and replace any part of the wire that melted, the little plastic piece is the capasitor it will also need to be replaced

Customer :

oh ok...yeah it just crumbled around the metal inside

Chad :

I can post you pictures of the entire circuit when I switch to Q&A

Customer :

so now the very small plastic part is gone

Customer :

how do i see them...this is my first time

Chad :

you will get an emial when I post to it, it is easy

Customer :

ok..and then i just go look at it?

Chad :

yes, you can also type and I can answer in there if needed

Customer :

can i save this im?

Chad :

I dont know, it will show this whole thing in the Q&A side so you can see it

Customer :

ok good

Chad :

do you want me to switch it and start posting the pictures now?

Expert:  Chad replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Chad replied 3 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
chad is there three diagrams?
Expert:  Chad replied 3 years ago.
Yes, they are all three the same circuit follow the green wire
Circuit F42
Expert:  Chad replied 3 years ago.
C101 is the big connector I was talking about
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok..yeah i see
Expert:  Chad replied 3 years ago.
did you find the blown fuse?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes he did
Expert:  Chad replied 3 years ago.
best way to keep it from blowing again is to remove the ASD relay until you fix the wire. Once wire is fixed put good fuse back in then reinstall relay.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok that sounds good
Expert:  Chad replied 3 years ago.
let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok..how do i let you know once i accept your answer?
Expert:  Chad replied 3 years ago.
You can come back here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
oh good..i will let you know then
Expert:  Chad replied 3 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you very much...you are really smart
Expert:  Chad replied 3 years ago.
thank you I try to help, it is easer when I have seen the problem in person that someone is having.
Chad, Lead Master Tech
Experience: Electrical master,Diesel Specialist,Lead tech/ shop foreman