brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

2001 PT Cruiser: oil transmission fluid..leak..pan gasket

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser. I just had my oil changed and they said my transmission fluid was leaking and my P/S pressure hose had a leak.
They want to put in a new solenoid pack ($275 + $100 labor), Transmission pan gasket and filter ($32 + $100 labor) and a P/S pressure hose ($170 + $100 labor).
Is all this necessary? I've been going to this place for several years, but my oil changes always get very expensive. Yes, my car is old, but it's been taken care of, so it makes me wonder.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. If the items mentioned are leaking then yes the are necessary. All depends on how severe the leaks are. What you don't want to happen is to run the transmission or the power steering low on fluid and cause an even bigger and more expensive problem!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Why isn't just a new solenoid seal OK?

He also said I wouldn't even notice the drip. It would happen when the engine is warm and the drip would fan to the under carriage as I drove.

And are the parts prices and labor typical/acceptable?

It depends on how the solenoid is leaking as many times the solenoid itself will leak and need replaced.

Yes the prices are in line for the repairs being done.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Are these problems common in a PT Cruiser with 81,000 miles?

Do they have to do a transmission flush with this? Should it be included in the listed prices?

No a flush does not have to be done when doing the solenoid. It would be addition labor doing the flush so would not be included with the repair of the solenoid. Yes these are some what common issues for a PT