sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

PT cruiser: My 06..automatic..Neutral or Reverse)..car needs tires

My 06 PT cruiser automatic at 75k miles is starting to make some mild but noticable transmission noises; these include a mild soft 'whistle' when it is in drive (it disappears when I go to Neutral or Reverse) and a mild version of the familiar Chrysler 'buzz' when I change between rreverse-neutral-drive and or the other direction; the car needs tires and I am debating whether just to trade it or try and keep it; I don't want to replace the trannie; please advise; thanks.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

How long has the whistle noise been happening? Are you positive it's from the transmission?

How long has it been since the trans fluid/filter have been replaced?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
About a month that I know iof; my reasoning that it is from the trannie is that it only happens when it is in drive. The buzzing noise I have noticed about the same length of time; The car was a rental and I bought it at 43k miles; as far as I can tell the fluid and filter have never been done; the manual stated not to do it unless the car was in heavy usage such as a taxi cab. I am an insurance inspector and the car is subject to a lot of stop and go runs.

There is definitely going to be some solenoid buzz when you put it in gear. The new solenoid packs are quieter than the older ones, but there is still some noise. That's nothing to worry about.

A noise that comes from the trans when it's in gear generally comes from the torque converter. The first thing I would recommend is trying to pinpoint whether the noise is actually from the trans. If it is then the first thing I would recommend is dropping the trans pan and replacing the fluid and filter. A split, cracked, or plugged trans filter can cause the pump to starve for proper fluid flow and cause noises like this. The mileage interval in the owner's and service manual for transmission service on your car is every 60,000 miles or less, but every 30,000 miles is recommended, especially in stop and go use. If replacing the filter doesn't take care of the noise and it's definitely coming from the trans then the torque converter may be failing.

sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist