Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Chrysler PT Cruiser I had a P0340 code. The mechanic replaced

I had a P0340 code. The mechanic replaced the camshaft position sensor and now after my rode test, it rides rough and the have a P0344 code. 2006 PT Cruiser non-turbo 118,000 miles.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

Scope the Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor and Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor signals. If the signals look normal, check for a loose or jumped timing belt. Check for any melted wiring around the CMP, repair as needed. Remove the CMP and inspect the target magnet behind the sensor for any cracks. If any cracks are noted, then replace the magnet.

P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor Signal Intermittent

Possible CausesSetting Conditions
  • Check the tone wheel/pulse ring for damage or debris collection
  • CMP sensor connector is damaged (check pins for damage, and moisture)
  • CMP sensor signal circuit is open or shorted to ground
  • CMP sensor reference (5v) circuit is open or shorted to ground
  • CMP sensor has failed
  • PCM has failed
Engine cranking or running; CKP sensor signals detected, and the PCM detected an abrupt loss of the Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor signal. The Failure counter must reach 20 before this code sets.

This code sets in 1 Trip(s).
This code will turn on the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will I be able to drive it a short distance or will the car die again? Can it go on the free way for a short distance? How long will it take the fix the items you mentioned. The car initially stopped Christmas Eve and I just picked up the car this evening. They replaced the camshaft and crankshaft sensors as well as the timing belt. The timing belt broke which is why it never started. There is a burning smell in the car and behind the car.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
It depends on what the problem is....worst case scenario is the timing is a tooth off which is about a 4 hour job....If your smelling a burning smell you would want to check for burned wires going to sensors. You should be able to drive vehicle on freeway for a short distance but its not going to run right and will likely die again....but you should be able to restart. I'd bring vehicle to shop that replaced timing belt as this is related. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.