Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Chrysler Town and Country how do I change the transmission

how do I change the transmission on a 1999 Town and Country Van?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

hi

this should help you..please print

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Chrysler Caravan/Voyager/Town and Country 1996-1999

Automatic Transaxle Assembly

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
  • ADJUSTMENTS

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7

FIG : Fig. 1: In order for the transaxle to be removed from the vehicle, an engine support must be used image

WARNING If the vehicle is going to be rolled on its own wheels while the transaxle is out of the vehicle, obtain two outer CV-joints to install to the hubs. If the vehicle is rolled without the proper torque applied to the front wheel bearings, the bearings will be destroyed.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. If equipped with the 3.0L engine, drain the coolant.
  2. Use an engine support fixture to support the engine.
  3. Remove the air cleaner assembly if preventing access to the upper bell housing bolts.
  4. Disconnect the transaxle shift linkage at the manual valve lever.
  5. Squeeze the grommet clips to disconnect the cable at the transaxle bracket.
  6. Remove the transaxle oil dipstick tube.
  7. Disconnect and plug the transaxle fluid cooler lines.
  8. FIG : Fig. 2: Disconnecting the shift cable from the manual valve lever

image

9. FIG : Fig. 3: After the cable is disconnected, remove it from the bracket image

10. Remove the input and output speed sensors.
  11. Remove the upper bell housing mounting bolts.
  12. Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the front wheels.
  13. Position a drain pan under the transaxle where the halfshafts enter the differential or extension housing. Remove the right and left halfshaft assemblies.
  14. Drain the transaxle fluid.
  15. Remove the torque converter dust shield (inspection cover), matchmark the torque converter to the flexplate and rotate the engine clockwise to remove the torque converter bolts.
  16. Detach the wiring harness connections to the transaxle range switch and the Park/Neutral position switch.
  17. Remove the front motor mount insulator and bracket.
  18. If equipped with Distributorless (DIS) ignition system, remove the crankshaft position sensor from the bell housing.
  19. FIG : Fig. 4: To access the torque converter bolts, remove the torque converter dust shield

image

20. FIG : Fig. 5: Use the crankshaft damper nut to rotate the engine clockwise to access the torque converter bolts CLimage

21. Remove the starter motor mounting bolts and set the starter motor aside. Do not allow the starter motor to hang suspended from the battery cable.
  22. Position a transmission jack under the transaxle.
  23. With the transaxle mount firmly in position, remove the left transaxle mount.
  24. Remove the lower bell housing bolts.
  25. Pull the transaxle completely away from the engine and carefully lower it from the vehicle.
  26. To prepare the vehicle for rolling, secure the engine with a suitable support or reinstall the front motor mount to the engine. Then, reinstall the ball joints to the steering knuckle and install the retaining bolt. Install the obtained outer CV-joints to the hubs, install the washers and tighten the axle nuts to 180 ft. lbs. (244 Nm). The vehicle may now be safely rolled.
  27. FIG : Fig. 6: A transmission/transaxle jack should be used to remove the transaxle from the vehicle

image

28. FIG : Fig. 7: With the transaxle secured to the jack, remove the engine mounts image

29. To install:

1. Install the transaxle securely on the transmission jack. Rotate the converter so it will align with the positioning of the flexplate.

WARNING If the torque converter has been replaced, a torque converter clutch break-in procedure must be performed. This procedure will reset the transaxle control module break-in status. Failure to perform this procedure may cause transaxle shutter. To properly do this, a DRB or equivalent scan tool, is required to read or reset the break-in status.

1. Apply a coating of high temperature grease to the torque converter pilot hub.
    2. Raise the transaxle into place and push it forward until the dowels engage and the bell housing is flush with the block.
    3. Install the lower transaxle bell housing bolts.
    4. Jack the transaxle up and install the left transaxle mount.
    5. Install the starter to the transaxle. Tighten the starter motor mounting bolts to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
    6. Remove the transaxle jack from under the vehicle.
    7. If equipped with D.I.S. ignition system, clean off the old spacer on the crankshaft position sensor and install a new spacer. Install the crankshaft position sensor to the transaxle bell housing and push down until contact is made with the drive plate. Tighten the sensor retaining bolts to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
    8. Install the front engine mount insulator and bracket.
    9. Reattach the wiring harness connectors to the Park/Neutral position switch and the transaxle range switch.
    10. Align the torque converter to the flexplate mounting bolt holes. Install the torque converter bolts and tighten to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm). Install the torque converter inspection cover.
    11. Install the right and left halfshaft assemblies. Install the ball joints to the steering knuckles. Tighten the axle nuts to 180 ft. lbs. (244 Nm) and install new cotter pins.
    12. Install the front wheels and lug nuts. Tighten the lug nuts in a star pattern to 95 ft. lbs. (129 Nm).
    13. Lower the vehicle.
    14. Install the upper transaxle mounting bolts. Tighten the mounting bolts to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
    15. Remove the engine support fixture.
    16. Install the input and output speed sensors.
    17. Reconnect the transaxle oil cooler lines.
    18. Install the transaxle oil dipstick tube.
    19. Attach the shift cable to the transaxle bracket.
    20. Reconnect the transaxle shift linkage to the manual valve lever.
    21. Install the air cleaner assembly. Fill the transaxle with the proper amount of clean, fresh MOPAR® ATF Plus 7176 automatic transmission fluid.
    22. If equipped with the 3.0L engine, refill the cooling system to the correct level with a 50/50 mix of clean, ethylene glycol antifreeze and water. Bleed the cooling system.
    23. Ensure all linkages, electrical connectors and fluid lines have been reattached.
    24. Reconnect the negative battery cable and check the transaxle for proper operation. Perform the transaxle quick learn and torque converter clutch break-in procedures.

ADJUSTMENTS

Gearshift Cable Adjustment

See Figure 8

Normal operation of the Park/Neutral position switch provides a quick check to confirm proper linkage adjustment.

Move the gear selector lever slowly forward until it clicks into the Park position. The starter should operate when the ignition switch is turned to the START position.

After checking the Park position, move the selector slowly toward the Neutral position, until the lever drops into the N position. If the starter will also operate at this point, the gear shift linkage is properly adjusted. If the starter fails to operate in either position, linkage adjustment is necessary, as follows:

1. Park the vehicle on level ground and set the parking brake.
    2. Place the gear shift lever in the PARK position and remove the key.

30. FIG : Fig. 8: Gear shift cable adjustment (31 TH transaxle) image

1. Loosen the cable adjuster screw at the transaxle operating lever.
  2. Move the transaxle operating lever fully forward to the Park position.
  3. Release the parking brake, then rock the vehicle to assure that it is in park lock. Reset the parking brake.
  4. Tighten the cable adjustment screw to 70 inch lbs. (8 Nm). The gear shift cable should now be correctly adjusted.
  5. Verify PRNDL indicator still displays the corresponding gear

Throttle Pressure Linkage

1. Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature.
  2. Loosen the adjustment swivel lock screw.
  3. To ensure proper adjustment, the swivel must be free to slide along the flat end of the throttle rod. Disassemble, clean and lubricate as required.
  4. Hold the transaxle throttle control lever firmly toward the engine, against its internal stop. Tighten the swivel lock screw to 100 inch lbs. (11 Nm).
  5. The adjustment is finished and linkage backlash was automatically removed by the preload spring.
  6. Road test the vehicle and check the shift points.

Edited by tim's auto repair on 12/24/2010 at 6:11 PM EST
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.