quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10+years of chrysler dealership experience
17227360

Chrysler Pacifica replacing motor mounts on a 2004 chrysler

replacing motor mounts on a 2004 chrysler pacificaXXXXX
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  quickcar replied 3 years ago.

quickcar :

hello and welcome to just answer

quickcar :

which motor mounts are you replacing and what information do you need?

Customer :

2 are referred to as motor mounts and the other a transmission mount..my mechanic cannot seem to get to the one on the driver side which i believe is the one referred to as the transmission mount ...he says he is going to have to cut a whole in the frame to get to it...is this true?

Customer :

he was able to get to the other 2...we are replacing only one of the ones referred to as the transmission mount and that is on the driver side this is the one we are having problems getting to

quickcar :

ok give me a second to look at the service information, there should be no need to cut into the frame.\

Customer :

ok thanks

quickcar :

heres a picture of the mount, is this the one that is giveing you trouble?

quickcar :

Full Size Image

quickcar :

the way to remove this one is to remove both engine mount to cradle nuts, then you have to support the engine, you can use a screw jack or jack stand as well, then remove the mount bracket bolts first followed by the mounts top nut, the remove the mount plate and the mount,basically as two pieces.

Customer :

hard to tell from the diagram and i dont have the car here ...again its the driver side transmission mount that is giving my mechanic problems he cant seem to get to the nuts

quickcar :

that has to be the mount then, they call it the right engine mount but its bolted to the back of the transmission, tell you mechanic to try going from under the hood to get at the nuts if i remember correctly you can get to them under the hood with a swivel joint.

quickcar :

also if he's going from underneath once he gets the engine mount to cradle nuts off he should be able to lift the engine and transmission with a floor jack and block of wood or a screw jack to get enough access to the bolts .

Customer :

just relayed this info by phone and he says the bolt/nuts are in the frame and there is no way for him to get to it but by cutting into the frame....i'm not a mechanic but having my car worked on by my usual mechanic usually does a good job...but it sounds strange to me that u have to cut into something to do the job...have seen post online about having to replace engine mounts on these models...common problem it seems and dont see any reference to having to cut into the frame to do it...he says this is referred to as making a "window"

quickcar :

i would not let him cut an access hole in the frame to get to the nuts, i have had no problems using a standard chrome socket to get at the nuts that are recessed into the engine cradle.

quickcar :

impact sockets are thicker and wont fit.

Customer :

ok i will see the car in the morning and my mechanic and relay this information to him...not sure what i'll do if he insists this is the only way

quickcar : If he insists I would suggest that you leave that mount to a dealer, just have him put in the other mounts. Labor charge should only be 1-2 hours max on that one mount.
Customer :

k thank you for your help

quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 10+years of chrysler dealership experience