Thomas
Thomas, Technician
Experience:  15 year of dealership experience
3090273

Chrysler Sebring LX 2002 Chrysler Sebring 2.7 engine. Engine

2002 Chrysler Sebring 2.7 engine. Engine knocking

I rebuilt the engine (first time): Machine shop checked the block, reworked the heads, new water pump, new oil pump, new gaskets, new tensioners, new lifters. new seals, new timing chains ,

The engine turns over but won’t start. I checked the compression on one cylinder (30#), Checked one plug, it was firing. I pulled the engine down, checked the heads using mineral spirits, all valves got wet but I wouldn’t consider them leaking because I was suppose to use transmission fluid. checked the rings all were staggered , installed new head gaskets again, set timing and put the engine back together. Still no compression

I started removing the oil filter to make sure the oil pump was working and there was pressure forcing the oil out before I completely removed the filter. I read where a Fram oil filter (cross reference) was wrong and wrong filter caused a problem similar to this.

I have not checked the oil pressure. Would you have compression if you don’t have oil pressure?

I tried to compress the new lifter by hand and a vise. They wouldn’t retract. Internet said that the way they are supposed to work. This doesn’t sound right to me. But all of them wouldn’t compress. I didn’t force any of them.

I would think it’s the timing but I set the timing per Haynes Manual both times. The timing chain is marked (colored links). One of the two intake sprockets has two timing marks, A circle (dot) and a triangle I used the triangle. The exhaust sprockets are set 12 pins apart from the intake. The timing marks are close to the North position. But would not line up per the picture.

The plug was wet with fuel.
The battery is fully charged.
The fuses are good.
There is a 24” ground wire that’s not installed. I can’t find where it connects. Could that be an issue?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I will do my best to help you fix your automotive problem today. Was your base timing set like this pic?graphic

Edited by Thomas on 12/17/2010 at 2:34 AM EST
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
It has to be timing off if your cam ting was set to this pic and your main chain timing to the first pic it should have compression.graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My timing was set (twice) like the diagrams
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Ok was any compression at all read? Did you check all cylinders?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I checked 4 of 6 cylinders. Two had 30-35 # XXXXX had 0. I didn't check the other two. The timing is set per Haynes and your diagram.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Have you turned the engine so the valves are closed and put air to the cly. to see is the air is leaking past the valves or past the piston?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I have not. Please explain ,in detail, how to do this.

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
I turn the engine to close the valves on one cyl at a time. I use my compression tester fitting to hook shop air to the cyl. I put air to the cyl. if you hear it coming from the exhaust or intake it's a valve problem. If it comes from the oil fill it is leaking past the piston.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How much PSI? Wouldn't air bypass the pistion and valve because it's a metal to metal?, without an o-ring or gasket?
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

I use 90 psi shop air. And no it shouldn't bleed past the valves it will bleed past the piston a small amount.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK . It will be tomorrow before I can try this. The piston should be TDC when I run the air test. IS this correct?
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
The air will usually push the piston down. So it should be at the bottom of the cyl.

Edited by Thomas on 12/18/2010 at 7:43 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Let me make sure I understand. I remove all of the plugs? Do I take the belts off? I turn the engine over to get the piston to the top, put 90 psi on the piston, if its bottoms out, I have compression and the valves are good? If it doesn't bottom out, I listen at the exhaust pipe, if I hear air the exhaust valve is bad? If I hear air at the intake (breather) the intake valve is bad. If I hear air at the oil cap, I have a ring problem??

Have I missed anything?

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Yes you usually have to have the valve covers off so you can see the cam lobes. To know for sure the valves are closed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thomas, I will have probably more questions later. It's close to Christmas and I want to pay you. My email address is XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.m Send me you email address.

Regards;

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

They blocked your email and will mine they won t allow personal contact. Put here is mine we'll see tomshep1 at lycos dot com Thank you

Thomas, Technician
Experience: 15 year of dealership experience