sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Chrysler towm & Country The speedometer on my 2003 Chrysler

The speedometer on my 2003 Chrysler Town & Country with only 52,000 miles suddenly stopped working. The Odometer still continues to operate correctly. It goes without saying that I do not want to lose the reading on my odometer. Can the dealer fix the speedometer without losing the reading or am I better off going to a place that repairs speedometers? Or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Take a very close look at the speedometer needle. At the bottom, near 0 MPH, you will see a small peg that the speedometer needle would sit down on when the key is off. Take a very close look and see if the speedometer needle is on top of this peg, or if it has migrated down to the bottom side of the peg.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Wow, you are right. The needle is to the right of the pin. In fact it looks like it is holding the needle back ....Kenny

That's exactly what is happening. The needle is trying to come up and work, but it's getting caught on the stop.

This is an easy fix. Turn the key off. Press and hold the trip odometer reset button. Hold it until you see the odometer light up and it will say "soF" and a number. When you see this then let the trip odometer button go. The cluster will enter into a self test where all the lights come on and all of the gauges sweep. When the self test is complete then your speedometer will be back on the correct side of the peg and will work again.