garrtim
garrtim, service manager
Experience:  20+ years chrysler certified

Chrysler PT Cruiser lost key only had one how do i progra

Customer Question

lost key only had one how do i program
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  garrtim replied 3 years ago.

garrtim :

STANDARD PROCEDURE - TRANSPONDER PROGRAMMING

USING A DRB III® SCAN TOOL

All Sentry Keys included with the vehicle are pre-programmed to work with the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) when it is shipped from the factory. The Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) can be programmed to recognize up to a total of eight Sentry Keys. When programming a blank Sentry Key transponder, the key must first be cut to match the ignition lock cylinder of the vehicle for which it will be used. The vehicle's four digit PIN code will be required to complete this task since you will need it to enter the Secured Access Mode in the SKIM. The following steps must be completed using a DRB III® scan tool:

1. Insert the blank key into the ignition and turn it to the RUN position.

2. Using a DRB III® scan tool, select "Theft Alarm," "SKIM," "Miscellaneous," and then "Program Ignition Key."

3. Enter the four digit PIN code using the DRB III® scan tool. When programming is completed, the SKIM will exit Secured Access Mode and the DRB III® scan tool will display the results of your attempt to program the key. One of five distinct results may be displayed. All five are listed below:

• "Programming Successful" is displayed if the Sentry Key programming is successful.

• "Learned Key in Ignition" is displayed if the key in the ignition has already been programmed into that vehicle's SKIM.

• "Eight Keys Already Learned (At The Maximum) Programming Not Done" is displayed if eight keys have already been programmed into the SKIM. In this case, if a new key needs to be added due to a lost or defective key, the "Erase All Keys" command (which requires entering the Secured Access Mode) has to be performed. Following the "Erase All Keys" command, all keys that will be used to operate the vehicle MUST be reprogrammed to the SKIM.

• "Programming Not Attempted" is displayed after an "Erase All Keys" function is executed.

• "Programming Key Failed" is displayed if further diagnosis is required.

To learn additional keys, turn the ignition OFF, remove the learned key, insert the next new blank key, and repeat the steps from the beginning.

“CUSTOMER LEARN” MODE

This feature is only available on domestic vehicles or those which have a U.S. country code designator. This procedure requires access to at least two valid Sentry Keys. If two valid Sentry Keys are not available, Sentry Key programming will require the use of a DRB III® scan tool.

The steps required to program Sentry Keys with two valid Sentry Keys follows:

1. Obtain the blank Sentry Key(s) that need to be programmed. Cut the keys to match the ignition lock cylinder mechanical key codes.

2. Insert one of the two valid Sentry Keys into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the ON position. Step 3, the indicator light will start to flash and a single audible chime tone will sound to indicate that the system has entered the "Customer Learn" programming mode. Step 5, a single audible chime tone will sound and the indicator light will stop flashing and stay on solid for three seconds and then turn off to indicate that the blank Sentry Key has been successfully programmed. The SKIS will immediately exit the "Customer Learn" programming mode and the vehicle may be started using the newly programmed Sentry Key.

These steps must be completed in their entirety for each additional Sentry Key to be programmed. If any of the above steps are not completed in the given sequence, or within the allotted time, the SKIS will exit the "Customer Learn" programming mode and the programming will be unsuccessful. The SKIS will also automatically exit the "Customer Learn" programming mode if:

• It sees a non-blank Sentry Key when it should see a blank.

• If it has already programmed eight (8) valid Sentry Keys.

• If the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position for more than about fifty (50) seconds.

NOTE: If you attempt to start the vehicle while in “Customer Learn” mode (LED flashing), the vehicle will behave as though an invalid key is being used (i.e. the engine will stall after two (2) seconds of running). No faults will be logged.

NOTE: Once a Sentry Key has been programmed to a particular vehicle, it cannot be used on any other vehicle.

3. After the ignition switch has been in the ON position for longer than three seconds, but no more than fifteen seconds, cycle the ignition switch back to the OFF position. Replace the first valid Sentry Key in the ignition lock cylinder with the second valid Sentry Key and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position. The second valid Sentry Key must be inserted, and the ignition key to the ON position, within 15 seconds of removing the first valid Sentry key.

4. About ten seconds after the completion of

5. Within sixty seconds of entering the "Customer Learn" programming mode, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, replace the valid Sentry Key with a blank Sentry Key transponder, and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position.

6. About ten seconds after the completion of

Customer :

is their any way to program just one key

garrtim :

the only way to program one key is with the dealer scan tool

Customer :

is their any way to program one key

garrtim :

the only way to program one key is to have the dealer do it with their scan tool -- a customer has to have two good keys inorder to program a third