Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified A6,A8,L1 and California Licensed Smog Technician
25319281

2007 Chrysler Pacifica: engine coils (done..throttle..cylinder misfire

I own a 2007 Chrysler Pacifica, 4.0 that has had the check engine light on and off for about 1.5 years. I have taken it to several dealers who have recommeded the following: 1) change spark plugs (done in 08/09), 2) change all engine coils (done on 05/10), 3) decarb and throttle clean (11/10). The check engine light is still on and the code is for a #6 cylinder misfire.
None of the Chrysler dealers I have taken the car to have been able to figure out what's wrong with the car and why the engine light is still coming on and it's been frustrating after spending so much $ on the above items. They claim that all the other items I did above had to be completed and the diagnostic alone is pricey on this car due to how the car is made. I don't know what else to do--please HELP! Is it worth it to look into or should I just get rid of the car? What are my options?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jim replied 3 years ago.

Jim :

Did they decarb the engine or just the throttle plate?

Jim :

Did they decarb the engine or the throttle plate only?

Expert:  Jim replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
A question is not an acceptable answer to me. But to answer your question: I believe they only did en engine decarb.
Expert:  Jim replied 3 years ago.
I am not trying to give you an answer until we can clarify what work has or has not been done to the vehicle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thanks. It's my 1st time doing this and it's a bit confusing. A message I read asked if I wanted to accept your questions as an answer.
Expert:  Jim replied 3 years ago.
You never want to accept an answer until you are satisfied. Your vehicle has had problems with carbon build up in the engine causing this misfire code. So it is important to make sure that the engine was decarboned in compliance with the factory service bulletin # XXXXX If that has been done and the plugs and coils have been replaced, the next step would be to have a smoke test done to make sure there are no vacuum leaks causing the problem, vacuum leaks are common to cause this type of problem as well. You mentioned getting rid of the vehicle, If you bought the vehicle new and have had the vehicle in for the same problem multiple times and the dealer can't fix it, you might look into the lemon law as a option.
Jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified A6,A8,L1 and California Licensed Smog Technician