ChryslerTech10
ChryslerTech10, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 Years Chrysler trained and certified Technician. ASE Certified Master Technician. A.A.S. degree

Chrysler Town & Country Limited How do I replace the front

Customer Question

How do I replace the front heater blower motor on a 2001 Chrysler Town & Country Limited?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  ND-TECH replied 3 years ago.

This is an extremely hard task to do as the dash has to be removed from the vehicle and the HVAC case has to be removed as well so it will require an a/c recovery machine which you have to certified to have.

REMOVAL

WARNING: REFER TO THE APPLICABLE WARNINGS AND CAUTIONS FOR THIS SYSTEM BEFORE PERFORMING THE FOLLOWING OPERATION. (Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - FRONT - WARNING - A/C PLUMBING), (Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - FRONT - CAUTION - A/C PLUMBING), and (Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - FRONT - WARNING - HEATER PLUMBING).

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

1. Recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system. (Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - FRONT/REFRIGERANT - STANDARD PROCEDURE - REFRIGERANT RECOVERY).
  2. Drain the engine cooling system. (Refer to 7 - COOLING - STANDARD PROCEDURE - COOLING SYSTEM DRAIN).
  3. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  4. Disconnect the liquid line and suction line from the expansion valve. (Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - FRONT/LIQUID LINE - REMOVAL) and (Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - FRONT/SUCTION LINE - REMOVAL).
  5. Remove the windshield wiper module from the vehicle(Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/WIPERS/WASHERS/WIPER MODULE - REMOVAL).
  6. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes. (Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - FRONT/HEATER HOSE - REMOVAL).
  7. Remove the four nuts that secure the heater-A/C unit housing studs to the engine compartment side of the dash panel (Heater-A/C Unit Housing Studs).
  8. Remove the instrument panel from the passenger compartment. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/INSTRUMENT PANEL ASSEMBLY - REMOVAL).
  9. Remove the floor distribution duct from the heater-A/C unit housing. (Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/DISTRIBUTION - FRONT/FLOOR DISTRIBUTION DUCTS - REMOVAL).
  10. Remove the one screw that secures the heater-A/C unit housing bracket to the passenger compartment side of the dash panel (Heater-A/C Unit Housing).
  11. Pull the heater-A/C unit housing rearward far enough for the mounting studs to clear the dash panel and remove the unit from the passenger compartment

That is just to remove the hvac housing.

REMOVAL

NOTE: The blower motor and blower wheel are serviced only as an assembly. If either component is faulty or damaged, the blower motor and blower wheel must be replaced.

1. Remove the HVAC Housing from the vehicle (Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/DISTRIBUTION/HVAC HOUSING - REMOVAL).
  2. Disconnect the blower motor wire harness connector from the blower motor resistor block or blower motor power module, depending on application (Lower Intake Air Housing).
  3. Remove the two screws that secure the recirculation door actuator to the lower air intake housing and remove the wire harness from the routing clips molded into the bottom of the lower air intake housing.
  4. Remove the one screw (from the top) that secures the lower air intake housing to the upper air intake housing.
  5. Remove the four screws (from the bottom) that secure the lower air intake housing to the lower half of the HVAC housing and the upper air intake housing.
  6. Push the rubber grommet on the blower motor wire harness through the hole in the lower intake air housing (Blower Motor Grommet - Typical).
  7. Feed the blower motor electrical connector through the grommet hole in the lower intake air housing.
  8. Position the recirculation air door as necessary to access and remove the three screws that secure the blower motor to the blower housing in the lower half of the HVAC housing (Blower Motor Mounting Tabs).
  9. Gently flex the recirculation-air door far enough to remove the blower motor and blower wheel from the blower housing in the lower half of the HVAC housing.
  10. Remove the blower motor and blower wheel from the vehicle.

Thats is to remove the blower motor

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Na Na Na, the heater motor can be removed from under the extreme right dash!

But the question is: how does one remove the 5th retAINING screw from the bottom cover that is way up behind the cover? The front 4 are easy, but while the 5th can be seen with a mirrow, it's seems impossible to engage it with a socket ,even on the end of a flex extension. I've read the best thing to do is to pry down onthe cove until the plastic cover tab that the 5th srew fastens just breaks away.

Savy?

Expert:  ND-TECH replied 3 years ago.
Ok well i dont like telling people that cause they think you are crazy when you say break the old one. yes you can but you run a big risk on breaking the heater case. his is another way of accessing that screw. The screw at the front that goes in from the top can be removed from the top by removing the dash cover and the right speaker. You can get an extension and a 5/16" flex socket down there to remove the bolt. You have to use a bright light and kind of look down through the windshield to see it but you can do it. Then to get the blower out you may have to use a pry bar and pry the dash out just a bit to sneak it out
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Na, Na, Na, this answer is of no help. The problem fastener is in far front, that is, behind the cover against the floor/firewall, and it needs to be removed from the bottom not the top, not the top. By removing the floor matts and the floor insulation, it IS barely seen in a small mirror and maybe accessible with a flex drive. I'll keep try to engage that screw. In any case, your answers are NOT accepted.

Thanks anyway,

Jim

Expert:  ChryslerTech10 replied 3 years ago.
I have never been able to do this without breaking that retaining tab off. I would never recommend doing that though.......but has been done. It is true that the proper way of doing it is to remove the heater box from the firewall. Let me know how this goes. Good luck