Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
2947720

Chrysler 300M I have a 2000 300M Chrysler and the heater venting

Customer Question

I have a 2000 300M Chrysler and the heater venting is stuck at dash board vents. No floor vent or defrosting vent. Also, temp control seems to be stuck at high temp.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

There has been a service bulletin for that type of concern. Here is what it states.

A/C - Erratic Operation/Poor Performance

NUMBER: 24-002-04 REV. A

GROUP: Heating & A/C

DATE: July 30, 2004

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 24-002-04, DATED MARCH 30, 2004, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES . ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDES ADDITIONAL MODEL YEAR.

SUBJECT:
A/C and Heater Performance

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin provides diagnostic information for A/C and heater performance complaints.

MODELS:

1998 - 2004 (LH) LHS/300M/Concorde/Intrepid

2001 - **2005** (JR) Sebring Convertible/Sebring Sedan/Stratus Sedan NOTE :Perform Customer Satisfaction Notification no. 857, reprogram Powertrain Control Module (PCM), for 2000 model year LH-vehicles built prior to August 30, 1999 (MDH 0830XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Erratic operation of the A/C and heater systems including:

^ Lack of cold air
^ Lack of hot air
^ Unrequested mode change - Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) only)
^ No control of mode or temperature control
^ Tapping noise from blend door

The above Symptoms may be accompanied by the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs):

^ Blend door feedback
^ Blend door stall
^ A/C control mode door input shorted to battery
^ Mode door stall
^ In car temp sensor failure ATC messages not received

DIAGNOSIS:

^ Do not attempt to remove A/C control until after this entire Diagnosis and Repair Procedure has been performed.
^ Verify customer reported symptom(s) if possible.
^ Check for the presence of DTCs with the scan tool (DRBIII(R)) and record on the repair order. If a DRBIII(R) is not available reference the appropriate Service Manual - Heating and Air Conditioning "Self Diagnostics" procedure and record any present DTCs on the repair order. If Symptoms and/or DTCs other than those listed above are present, repair as necessary. If a Symptom(s) and/or DTC(s) listed above is present, perform the Repair Procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1. With the vehicle at room temperature 10°- 27°C. (50°to 80°F.), remove the M-1 circuit fuse for ten minutes to erase DTCs.
2. Install the M-1 fuse and start the vehicle, this will initiate the HVAC system calibration. Allow approximately five minutes for the calibration to complete.
3. Operate the vehicle and HVAC system to verify that Symptoms and/or DTCs are gone. If tapping noise or Blend Stall/Feedback DTCs re-occur, additional diagnosis will be required.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How the heck do I know if these instructions will work?

It is about 40 degrees out right now and I don't have a room temp situation.

I would like to try this tomorrow and see if it works. Then I would like to pay you.
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.
No problem, when ever you get to it. You can always come back to accept the answer or log back on for any follow ups on it, thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks much and I will give it a go tomorrow.
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome, thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bummer!!! There is no fuse in fuse box that says M-1. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Where do I find the M-1 fuse?????

Sorry about that, I should have asked this last night. HA!!!
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.
That's okay....The M1 circuit fuse is actually number 19 in the junction block.....

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, the DTC is different than before M-1 fuse pulling and replacing. The air only come out of the defoster duct, but the temp control works just fine.

Anything I can do?
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.
Are you getting a trouble code out of it?

Trouble codes from the ATC control
The trouble codes can be checked with the ATC control if a DRB III scan tool is not available. The control head can only be placed into the diagnostic mode while the engine is running and the vehicle is not moving. Set the control to a 75 °F setting (so there is no confusion with the 23-51 Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's).

To place the system into it's diagnostic mode, press and hold the Floor, Mix and Defrost buttons (at the same time). The ATC head display will begin to blink. Release the Floor, Mix and Defrost buttons. Once the control head enters the diagnostic mode, the display on the control head will continue to blink. This occurs until it completes its tests and climate control unit door/actuator calibrations. Then it will display any diagnostic trouble codes that are present in the BCM. If there are no diagnostic trouble codes, the system will return to its normal operation as indicated by the temperature symbol (C or F). Diagnostic trouble codes related to the ATC and climate control unit will appear on the display in numerical form. The diagnostic trouble codes are stored in the BCM and can range between 23 and 51. The ATC control can only show one diagnostic trouble code at a time. Under certain circumstances, more than one diagnostic trouble code could be in the memory. To scroll through any additional diagnostic trouble codes, press the Panel Mode button on the ATC control. It is important that no other knob or button is pushed until all codes are read. Pushing any button except Panel Mode or turning a knob will end the diagnostic test without showing the rest of the trouble codes. There also may be other trouble codes stored in the BCM not related to the Climate Control System. These codes can only be found using the DRB III scan tool.

Trouble Codes From the Manual A/C Control
The trouble codes can be checked with the Manual A/C control and the Odometer Display of the Mechanical Instrument Cluster if a DRB III scan can only be placed into the diagnostic mode while the engine is running and the vehicle is not moving. To place the system into it's diagnostic mode, adjust the Manual A/C Control to the following settings:
  1. The engine must be running with vehicle not moving.
  2. The Fan Speed set to any speed except OFF.
  3. The Temperature Knob in full cold (full counterclockwise position).
  4. The mode knob must be placed in defrost position (full clockwise position).
  5. The A/C button can be ON or OFF.
  6. Press and hold the EBL button until the Mechanical Instrument Cluster Odometer display indicates an "AC00". The body control module (BCM) will chime once and the Manual A/C control A/C button LED will begin blinking.
  7. Release the EBL button and wait until the Manual A/C Control A/C button LED stops blinking. This means that the error check and climate control unit door calibration is complete.

Diagnostic trouble codes related to the Manual A/C Control and the climate control unit will appear on the odometer display in numerical form after the letters "AC". The diagnostic trouble codes are stored in the BCM and can range between 23 and 51. The odometer display will return to normal operation if no trouble codes are found. If a problem is found, then the odometer will display the letters "A/C" followed by the trouble code number. The odometer display can only show one diagnostic trouble code at a time. Under certain circumstances, more than one diagnostic trouble code could be in the memory. To scroll through any additional diagnostic trouble codes, press the A/C button on the Manual-A/C control. The BCM will beep each time the A/C button is pushed. Continue pushing the A/C button and recording the trouble code numbers until the odometer returns to normal operation (note the letters A/C will disappear). It is important that no other knob or button is pushed until all codes are read. Pushing any button except the A/C button or turning a knob Will end the diagnostic test without showing the rest of the trouble codes. There also may be other trouble codes stored in the BCM not related to the Climate Control System. These codes can only be found using the DRB III scan tool.

ERASING DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC'S)
Diagnostic trouble codes can be cleared from the memory two ways:

• The DRB III scan tool
  • Power to the BCM can be disconnected for ten minutes by disconnecting the battery negative remote cable.

If the scan tool is to be used, refer to the proper LH Body Diagnostic Procedures.

CAUTION: Fault code 26 can be created if the in-car sensor thermistor is disconnected while the BCM is operating. This can happen by disconnecting connectors from the BCM or the ATC Control Head when the battery is connected (even if the ignition switch is OFF). To correct, clear the fault code 26 from the BCM.

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There was no error codes, I did the diagnostic procedure and it gave me a error code of 24
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.
That is an error code for the mode door actuator, (probably just a bad actuator) but the tests are rather extensive on it, so I will put it in a PDF format that you can download at this link HERE Thanks
Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.
I have to run to the church, my kids are in a drama thing there, (Judgement House) but I will be back later, (God willing) Let me give you this for the mode door actuator just in case.

Mode Door Actuator Replacement
The mode door actuator is an electric motor. It mechanically positions the A/C unit panel/bi-level door and the floor/defrost door. This actuator contains a feedback strip which allows the computer control to know the exact position of the mode door at all times. The mode door actuator is not serviceable and must be replaced if found to be defective.

Register Here

The mode door actuator is located on the lower left side of the HVAC unit housing.

REMOVAL
  1. Open hood and disconnect the negative battery cable remote terminal from the remote battery post.
  2. Remove left and right underpanel ducts.
  3. Remove floor console.
  4. Remove center floor heat adaptor duct.
  5. Remove rear seat heat forward adaptor duct.
  6. Loosen center support bracket and pry rearward to gain access to the actuator.
  7. Remove actuator retaining screws. Then pull actuator straight down. Upon removal, note the shaft position of the actuator, because the shaft on this motor is keyed. When installing new actuator, its shaft must be positioned in the same location.
  8. Remove electrical connection on actuator.
INSTALLATION
For installation, reverse the above procedures.