sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Pt cruiser turbo: all factory sensors cam..crank..alignment

Customer Question

hello keep getting code p0344 for 03 pt cruiser turbo pretty much change all factory sensors cam and crank and cam magnet, checked timing alignment 3 times its ok updated pc. problem started after replacing engine block was changed but they said they used all old parts who knows
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

What exactly was repalced? Was it just the bare block and the pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc out of the old block were put into the new one, or was it a replacement long block/short block?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes i was told just the bare block and they usedall the old parts of course rebuilt head and resurface it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
anyone there

Was the crank replaced?

How much material was taken off the cylinder head exactly?

What kind of shop did the work?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
crank is the same from what ive been told as for how much has been cut i dont know. machine shop did work

Do you have a receipt showing the part numbers so I can see exactly what parts were used?

Why was the block replaced?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
cam,crank sensor & target magnet got them from dealer .block was cracked

Do you have the car, and have a voltmeter to do some electrical testing?

I assume you didn't have this code before the work was done?

How does it run, especially at idle?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes i do have a voltmeter,i already checked voltage supply,is 5v,signal return looks fine,i checked with a labscope . you are right about having the code.it showed, after the work was done at idle seems fine .at 2500 rpm starts to back fire .
I know that a machine shop did the engine work, but who did the engine installation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
we did the installation
I don't know who you are though. Are you a shop, a dealer?

There are a few main things that could be going on.

First would be the cam sensor's signal being open. Did you labscope at the PCM connector or the sensor? If you didn't check it at the PCM I would go there next.

Next would be damage to the crank sensor tone wheel or an incorrect tone wheel. If the crank tone wheel was damaged it could possibly do this, and if the incorrect crank with a different tone wheel was installed for some reason then it will do this. 2003 engines were controlled by an SBEC engine controller, the 2003.5 engines are NGC controlled.

The same goes for the cam sensor magnet. It's going to be different for SBEC and NGC.

If you had an aftermarket timing belt or timing components that aren't quite built to specs, or components are mismatched so the engine isn't in time it will do this.

One common mistake while assembling these is using an impact to tighten the cam sprocket bolts. This will shear the dowel pins, throwing off the cam's alignment to the sprocket. If the sprockets weren't held stationary and a torque wrench used for tightening then this is highly suspect.

Another possibility would be machining the head. Machining the head makes it thinner, dropping the cam's centerline closer to the crankshaft. This throws off the cam timing. On an overhead cam engine machining the head can get you into trouble with setting cam sensor or cam/crank misalignment codes, and can cause some driveability issues even without codes.

The first thing that needed to be done upon reassembling the engine would be to do a cam/crank relearn with a DRBIII scan tool. This allows the engine controller to relearn and compensate for many of these things I've mentioned. The first thing I would recommend doing now would be to have the cam/crank relearn done and see if the problem goes away.