Robert
Robert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Sprinter Van Certified
49095596

I have a 2002 Chrysler 300m with a blown 3.5 G engine.I can

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Chrysler 300m with a blown 3.5 G engine.I can pickup a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica 3.5 eng. and trans with only 18,000 miles for a really good price.All the research I have done tells me they are compatiable .Do you know of any reason I can't switch them out? I know I may need to change some things but is there anything that would make it not worth the trouble to do it. I need details not just yes or no answers Thanks Ron
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Chrysler my name is Mark.

The basic engine is going to be compatible. The biggest problem you will run into is the 2 vehicles use a different style of computer. So, the camshaft sensor tone ring is going to be different so you'll need to swap that over and the flex plate is also different for the crank sensor so be sure and use your original 02 one. Otherwise, use as much original stuff as you can including sensors and you should be fine.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So are you saying that I will need to use the camshaft sensor from my 2002 or get a new one. Also what orginal stuff are you refering to ones off the Pacifica or the 300M.
You'll need to change the camshaft sprocket........not the sensor. The sensor reads the slots in the tone ring, and the tone ring is part of the timing belt sprocket. So, you'll need to remove the timing belts from both engines and swap your 02 sprocket into the 05 engine.

When I referred to keeping as much original stuff, I was referring to your 02........reuse as much 02 stuff as you can like sensors because the wire connectors are likely going to be different.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok but I don't see any info on the trans in my original question I asked about using both the engine and trans from the 2005 Pacifica
Sorry, i didn't realize you were trying to use the trans as well. The answer to that is NO, the trans is not compatible.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I feel I need more info.
I feel I need more info
If you need more info you need to hit the Reply button.......re listing the question does not notify me that you are replying.

So, what additional info do you need?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I would like to get another experts answer to my question.
I would like to get another experts answer to my question
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

Hello, My name isXXXXX to Just Answer. I'll try and Help you out.

As the other expert was stating, the transmission is not compatible from a 05 Pacifica for your 02 300m the pacifica is equipped with a transverse transaxle which means the engine and transmission sit in the vehicle side by side, on your 02 300m you have a 42LE transmission which your engine sits in front of the transmission like a rear wheel drive vehicle. As a result the transmissions are totally different. Actually all the external accessories on the engines are totally different. It proably would not be worth your troubles to try and put this engine in your vehicle. Keep looking for an engine and transmission that comes off the same body style vehicle as yours such as an Intrepid or Concorde.

Edited by Robert R on 10/24/2010 at 10:32 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you know what years of other models are compatiable with the Chrysler 300M 3.5 G I don't want one with a lot of miles but I'm at a loss as to what years I can look at that would be compatiable since it did seem that the 2005 Pacifica would work.
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.
Ok, I'll research that for you.....
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.
Ok, I have some info for you, The only years that you can possibly swap an engine from would be 2002 - 2004. 2001 has a different controller, and 04 was the last year for the LH body style. although it would be definitely best to stick with the same model year as different model years have different connectors on most items. I hope this helps you out. If you need more info, let me know, thanks...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I have two experts that answered my question but both have comflicting answers. Is there anyone out there that has switched a 2002 300M 3.5G engine with a 2005 Pacifica 3.5 4 engine. And are there any books or web sites that have diagrams or pictures of these engines? I have looked everywhere I could think of and can't find anything..
I have two experts that answered my question but both have comflicting answers. Is there anyone out there that has switched a 2002 300M 3.5G engine with a 2005 Pacifica 3.5 4 engine. And are there any books or web sites that have diagrams or pictures of these engines? I have looked everywhere I could think of and can't find anything.
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

Here's some pictures of the engines in the vehicles:

pacifica 1:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

pacifica 2:

Register Here

300m 1:

Register Here

300m 2:

Register Here

300m 3:

Register Here

Edited by Robert R on 10/25/2010 at 10:12 PM EST
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

Here's the transmissions, 42le are the first 2 pics:

42le is in the 300m

Register Here

Register Here

41TE transmission:

41TE is in the Pacifica.

Register Here

The engine on a stand for the Pacifica is a 4.0l the 4.0l is based on the 3.5l engine block...

Here's a 3.5 :

Register Here

Register Here

As you can see, there are several differences, that's why I say it's not worth the effort, you'll end up spending the money saved to get all the gaskets and parts needed to make it fit. Sure the base 3.5 engine is the same, Just too much stuff to switch out to make it work. Sure it can be done if you're willing to spend the money, that's why I say it's best to just get one off of the same year. makes everything easier and it's sure to fit with no problems. (just my 2 cents) Thanks.

Edited by Robert R on 10/26/2010 at 2:00 AM EST