Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Certified, Sprinter Van Certified
49095596

2003 Sebring rear seat latches are stuck. Seat won,t fold down.

2003 Sebring rear seat latches are stuck. Seat won,t fold down. How do I release the latches? I put leather over the cloth seats, and apparently something is now to tight. When you pull forward on the straps, how does it release?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 years ago.

Hello, My name isXXXXX to Just Answer. I Will try and help you with this concern. Let me look up some info and get back with you...

Ok, heres a little info:

REMOVAL - FOLDING BACK

NOTE: Fabric covered cushions are serviced as an assembly.

1. Remove rear seat cushion. Remove the rear seat buckles and belt anchors.
  2. Remove the outer seat back bracket nuts
  3. Release folding rear seat back latches.
  4. Remove seat back from vehicle.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

make sure to take out all the bolts marked with 3, when you try to release the latches, push on the seats towards the locking position to release tension on the latches, maybe that will release them. Try wiggling back and forth while juggling latches. It should release with some patience.

Edited by Robert R on 10/24/2010 at 3:26 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried all that, and nothing worked. After I installed the leather I had no problems latching the seats. Do you have an illustration, or picture of the latch? If I knew for sure how it works, I could possibly pry it loose some how.

Thanks
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 years ago.
Ok, Let me see if I can find one...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you know how the rear seat works when I pull foward on the strap? From inside the trunk, with a light , I can see a spring. But I need to know what actually happens, or what's supposed to happen when I pull foward on the strap.

Thanks
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 years ago.

hello, I can't find any pictures of the latch mechanism, the only thing I found was a pic of the striker, You said that you can see a spring, if you can move one end of what that spring is attached to in a way to stretch the spring, you should get it to pop open. if not, mabye you can reach a wrench up to the striker and release it that way. Most likely those bolts are 13mm. here's a pic of the striker assy:

Register Here

Sorry that's all I find for now, I'll keep looking. Any more info that I can get for you, click reply. If I Have answered satisfactorily, please click accept. You can still contact me any time, just come back to this page. Thank you.

Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 25 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Certified, Sprinter Van Certified