Chrysler expert
Chrysler expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs experience, ase certified, shop owner
22989858

Voyager SE: fuel filter..because my mechanic tested the fuel pressure

97 Plymouth Voyager SE 3.3L Fuel Inj. V-6, replaced fuel pump and fuel filter. Did this because my mechanic tested the fuel pressure and said that is was fluctuating badly. Turn the key and cycle starter for approx. 5 sec. with no start. Re-engage and fires right up. This happens mostly after vehicle sits overnight or long stops during the day. Does not do this with short stops. Temperature does not seem to affect condition.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chrysler expert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.Pressure regulator for the fuel pump is located on the pump assembly,If the pressures fluctuateing you have a defective fuel pump or a defective fuel pressure regulator .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I replaced the fuel pump and filter after he told me about the fuel pressure. That is not the issue.
What is your fuel pressure reading now When you're cranking the vehicle ? Very often is caused by a faulty camshaft position sensor,Monitor the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) and the Camshaft Position Sensor on a scope and compare to a normal pattern. Note: This application seems sensitive to CKP and CMP sensors. The only other thing that could cause of fuel pressure variation be the fuel injectors sticking open or leaking allowing the fuel to drain into the cylinders after you shut the vehicle off

Edited by Chrysler expert on 10/21/2010 at 8:33 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will have him check these sensors and re-check the fuel pressure. Any particular reason this only does this after sitting but not with repeated start and stop driving?
It may be a slow leak in the injectors .causing the fuel presure to bleed off over time
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Could that fixed with a cleaning service or replacement of the injectors?
If the injectors are leaking they will need to be replaced cleaning will not cure it
Experience: 30 yrs experience, ase certified, shop owner