Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician
Experience:  24 Year Factory Trained and Certified
12104952

1997 Chrysler Sebring: liter engine..tune..leaking oil..the gaskets

I just had my wife's 1997 Chrysler Sebring Jxi with the 2.5 liter engine a tune up and several major parts replaced. The valve covers were leaking oil, so the mechanic replaced the gaskets and o-rings on them.The car just stopped running one day. The mechanic also replaced the crank sensor, distributor, rotor, wires and plugs. He also replaced the thermostat and upper and lower radiator hoses. The car runs, but runs rough and then dies after 30 minutes. The car ran fine right before it stopped running. What did the mechanic miss, please help!
Thanks,
Mark

Welcome to Just Answer Chrysler my name is Mark.

So, does it start now.........or will it not start?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, the car starts but runs rough after it has been started or if you accelarate it in park.
Ok, the first thing I would be suspicious of is the timing belt. If the timing belt has jumped a tooth or two it will certainly cause the engine to run rougher and potentially cause a stalling concern as well. The covers would need to be removed so that the timing marks can be physically checked.

Also, I would suggest the fuel system be tested for proper pump pressure and volume. Id the pump is getting weak it may be causing the engine to run lean and this in turn creates are rough run and stalling condition.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

We inspected the timing belt and the marks are aligned properly, would the fuel filter cuase the problem if it was dirty. Also being an interference motor would not the timing chain damage the valves if it jumped a tooth or two? We originally thought that was the problem, but the engine runs smooth when it is first started. The fuel system sounds like the better culprit.

Sure a plugged up filter will produce the same results as a weak pump, so it is certainly worth investigating the filter first.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My Mechanic keeps telling me he thinks it is a computer problem, however there are no check engine lights on. I had him recheck the timing belt and he says everything is lined up correctly, including the distributor. I asked him to replace the fuel filter, he says that he does not think that is the problem and continues to tell me the computer is bad, any comments? could it be a loose spark plug wire?
In my humble opinion, the computer is most likely not the cause of this unless your mechanic can state something specific as opposed to a gut feeling.

Yes, a plug wire could be causing this, but you stated these were changed so I'm assuming this is fine.

The fuel filter can be removed and checked to see if it plugged prior to just replacing it so you're not wasting money on unnecessary parts.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am having him check the fuel filter and if that is not the problem, I will take it someplace else. Probably a Chrysler dealership, what should I tell them when I take it in?
A second opinion is always a good idea. Be sure and let them know the work that has been done already, and then simply explain the troubles that you are having.