Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician
Experience:  24 Year Factory Trained and Certified
12104952

Pt cruiser: 2.4 and i set the timing on the belt to factory marks

hello, i have a pt cruiser 06. 2.4 and i set the timing on the belt to factory marks after head was resurfaced. its compression is only 30 psi. and it wont rev any higher than 3000rpm. within minutes it sucked oil through intake from pcv line and fouled pugs. i have the shop man. for this car and its adamant about the timing marks. is it common knowledge that the crank has to be set back ten deg. before tdc? is it possible to be 180 deg. off?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer Chrysler my name is Mark.

Here are the installation instructions. Compare these to what you have in your manual and see where the difference is. It does sound like the timing is not set correctly. The last step is VERY important to do before you put this back together.

Set crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing.

2.Set camshafts timing marks so that the exhaust camshaft sprocket (1) is a 1/2 notch (3) below the intake camshaft sprocket (2).

CAUTION: Ensure that the arrows on both camshaft sprockets are facing up.

.Install timing belt. Starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and then around the tensioner .
4.Move the exhaust camshaft sprocket (4) counterclockwise to align marks and take up belt slack.

5.Insert Allen wrench into the hexagon opening located on the top plate of the belt tensioner pulley. Rotate the top plate COUNTERCLOCKWISE. The tensioner pulley will move against the belt and the tensioner setting notch will eventually start to move clockwise. Watching the movement of the setting notch , continue rotating the top plate counterclockwise until the setting notch is aligned with the spring tang. Using the allen wrench to prevent the top plate from moving, torque the tensioner lock bolt to 25 N·m (220 in. lbs.). Setting notch and spring tang should remain aligned after lock bolt is torqued.
6.Remove allen wrench and torque wrench.
7.Rotate the crankshaft CLOCKWISE two complete revolutions manually for seating of the belt, until the crankshaft is repositioned at the TDC position. Verify that the camshaft and crankshaft timing marks are in proper position.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hello, yes .... the timing belt is set exactly in this fasion. i am stumped... i have rotated engine many times... allways comes back precisely to marks. initially.... car started well. test drive i noticed the engine spark cut out at 3000rpm. engine rpm went higher without firing, then recovered at 3000. just like a rev limiter. in a quarter mile or so car died. code scan revealed that cam position sensor failed. i replaced it and nothing changed. it has spark and fires injectors.... but wont start. im stumped. i am suspecting pcm failure.

Ok one thing that I have seen more than once is the dowel pins for the cam shaft sprockets can break. So, although the actual sprocket marks may still line up, the shaft itself may not be in the correct position.

You may want to look into that possibility.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
wow. i will check on that.... what do you think the compression test should be...100 psi? i will check the keyway on the crank also.
Yes, you need a minimum 100 psi.........more like 150 or so.
Mopar Certified, Technician
Experience: 24 Year Factory Trained and Certified