sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2000 Chrysler LHS: engine light..P 0700 on the information screen

My 2000 Chrysler LHS engine light just came on. I got a P 1684, and P 0700 on the information screen. Can you tell me what this is?

Thanks Bob
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

P1684 sets when the battery has been disconnected. This one is nothing to worry about.

P0700 sets in the engine controller when there is a code set in the trans controller. There are still more codes stored in the trans controller that will need to be read to diagnose your problem. If you can read the rest of the trans codes and then post them here I'll be able to tell you what is going on with it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just went out and read it again. All that it said was P 1684 and P 0700 then it said DONE.

I take it you are using the key cycle method of extracting codes. That won't show you any codes that are stored in the transmission control module, only the engine controller. Trans codes will have to be read with a scan tool or code reader. If you don't have a code reader almost all parts stores will read codes for free. If you can have the codes read and come back and post them I'll be able to tell you what to do.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay thanks. I will try to get there tomorrow and have them read it.

Bob

Sounds great. Let me know what you find and we'll go from there!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay sprinkles08 here is what they found. P 0700, P 0715, P 0731, P 0733, and

P 0734.

Thanks Bob

Great!

These have all been set by one root cause. The P0731, 3 and 4 are all gear ratio error codes. These set when the input speed sensor signal doesn't agree with the output speed sensor signal for whatever gear you are in.

P0715 is an error in the input speed sensor signal. This sensor is threaded into the left side of the transmission. It's signal being incorrect is what has caused the other codes to set, and is what is causing your trans to stay in second gear.

This can either be a bad sensor or wiring. Failures of this sensor are not uncommon and it's very likely that your input speed sensor just needs to be replaced. It's located on the left side of the transmission case towards the front, a white plastic sensor that threads right into the trans. It has a two wire electrical connector and a 1" hex for a wrench or socket for removal. An input speed sensor will be in stock at any parts store or dealer and runs about $20.

sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist