garrtim
garrtim, service manager
Experience:  20+ years chrysler certified
6531745

My 2001 PT cruiser rear hatch lock is stuck in closed position

My 2001 PT cruiser rear hatch lock is stuck in closed position so I cannot close the hatch at all? I tried my remote key fob by setting open/close - no luck; tried manually inserting key into trunk lock - no luck? Any other ideas before I am forced to go to mechanic?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  garrtim replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
garrtim :

hello, unlock the hatch lock again -- then insert a screwdriver into loop of the lacth and pull up on release handle while pulling on latch -- this should release the lacth

Customer :

what do you mean the loop of the latch?

Customer :

and what is the release handle

Customer :

do you mean the hatch lift on the outside?

garrtim :

let me get this straight -- your liftgate will not close? correct?

Customer :

when you say unlock the hatch lock again

Customer :

do you mean with the key fob remote

Customer :

the liftgate will not close

garrtim :

yes-- unlock car with remote

Customer :

when I drop it down it is not able to catch the metal loop on bottom

Customer :

when I look into the area were teh "catch" thingie is - it looks to be in a clos d position

Customer :

ok

garrtim :

next pull up on the outside release handle as if you are trying to open the liftgate --- while you are doing this -- use your other hand to pull on the lacth trying to open the catch

Customer :

so I will (1) "open" locks with remote

garrtim :

i suggest using a screwdriver to avoid pinching fingers

Customer :

Insert the screwdriver into the mechanism that lloks like the hook for the lock under teh hatch door itself

garrtim :

yes on remote

and yess on the lacth

Customer :

(3) pu;; up on the outside release handle

Customer :

(4) hold the hook in latch with screwdriver?

Customer :

ok

Customer :

will go try that now

Customer :

BRB

garrtim :

thanks--you got it,tim

Customer :

omg !

Customer :

it worked I think (8-0

Customer :

I could just KISS YOU!!!

Customer :

I cannot believe it - going out there to try it again

Customer :

OMG

garrtim :

see-- with the right info you can do anything,tim

Customer :

You are an angel

Customer :

woth every penny!

Customer :

I was so freaked out here !

garrtim :

you just saved youself a ton of money from the dealer-- by doing it yourself--take care,tim

Customer :

AAA said they couldn;t help\

Customer :

would have to get my car towed

Customer :

etc etc

Customer :

thanks TIM !!!!

garrtim :

thank you and if you ever need help again -- just please request me,tim

Customer :

How do I do that?

garrtim :

when you go to ask a question - you can pick your expert to help you

Customer :

ahh ,.. so I would just enter garrtime?

garrtim :

that is correct-- and when problem is solved all you have to do is click the accpet button when satisfied

Customer :

awesome ! thanks again - you are the best !

Customer :

good nite from saved in Connecticut.....lol

garrtim :

thank you and take care

garrtim, service manager
Experience: 20+ years chrysler certified