Richard, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.

2002 PT cruiser: replaced battery..battery and car turns..wont start

Customer Question

2002 PT cruiser, Battery was bad, replaced battery and car turns over but wont start. Fuel pump runs. Codes displayed are p1684 (battery disconnected) and P1685. Would the security alarm code 1685 cause this and how do I clear the problem
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Fault code P1685 sets when the PCM doesn't receive a valid key message from the SKIM.

Did the car start and stall 3 times and now not start?

Are you using the gray head secret code key?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Here is a list of the events. the lights were left on and the battery was completly dead. Had AAA come to jump and the car started right up. When I got home I shut the car off and it restarted. I tried again 1 hour later and car turned over labored and would not start. I charged the battery overnight and the car started up. I shut if off and tried again and battery would hardly turn car over so I replaced the battery. Car has not started since. I am using the same key I have used since I have had the car
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Does the starter crank the engine over good now and just not fire up an run?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It turns over fine but sounds a little more labored that I am used to
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Can you disconnect the battery for a minute, re-connect and try to start the car and let the engine crank over for 15 seconds and read the fault codes again using the key cycle method.

I assume that is the way you got the codes before!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will do that now and let you know what happens
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I disconnected the battery for one min. and then cranked for 15 seconds. I thin turned the key from acc to on, then back to acc then on, and back to acc then on and got codes P1684 and P1685 then done
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

P1685 is still setting and there has to be a problem with the SKIM system.

Have you checked all the fuses? I am wondering if the SKIM has lost power??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would that be identified in the fuse panel (or under the hood) as SKIM
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
The fuse that protects the SKIM circuit is fuse # XXXXX and 13 in the fuse box inside the vehicle. Fuse #10 is key on power supply and fuse 13 is battery supply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Both fuse 10 and 13 ohm out and when the fuses are removed 13 has power to fuse block and 10 has power when key is on
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

This is going to be impossible to check without a scan tool. We need to check to see if we can communicate with the SKIM and if we can't, you will need a SKIM as long as the power and ground are good to it.

Unfortunately you are going to have to take your car to the dealer. The dealer is the only one that can program your SKIM secret key code. I wish I was able to help, but without a scan tool we are beat!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So with all imformation, do you feel confident that the issue lies within the skim. I would guess that since no other codes are showing, that would be my problem. I have no problem taking it to the dealer if you feel comfortable that I should not be looking else where. I did have my backyard mechanic hold a screwdriver in the plug wire and we were getting no spark.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

If there wasn't a problem with the SKIM, it shouldn't be setting that code, so I do think we are dealing with a SKIM issue here. Since you got the code to return, that is a good sign the problem is active and needs to be looked at. This could also be a problem with the PCM not seeing a SKIM message and if the PCM requires replacement you still need to get the dealer to transfer the secret key code to the PCM.

Click the following link to view and download some info about this code.

http://www.4shared.com/document/un7k8TPz/7_2_7_P1685-WRONG_OR_INVALID_K.html

I hope this helps, let me know!

Thank you,

Richard, Chrysler Technician
Experience: Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You were correct. The SKIM module needs to be replaced. Thanks for you help, to bad it is costing me $300
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for letting me know! On the bright side it's better that than the PCM.

Thank you very much and feel free to leave feedback for my efforts!