Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
3195632

2005 Pacifica: 3.5L..the O2 sensor at bank 1 sensor 1..manifold

I have a 2005 Pacifica with a 3.5L and I'm trying to locate the O2 sensor at bank 1 sensor 1. I assume it should be in the manifold on the front of the motor, but I don't see it. Is it accessible from the top, or can you only get to it from below?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

Bank 1 sensor 1 is actually located in the rear manifold as the #1 cylinder is on the rear bank:

Click image to see an enlarged view

Easiest to access from underneath with the front end jacked up:

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. So, how many O2 sensors does my vehicle have - 2 or 4? Is there any chance at all of it passing an emissions test without first replacing the sensor? The car seems to run fine.
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

It has 4 -2 upstream on each manifold and 2 after the converters.

as long as the check engine light is being set by a O2 sensor fault code, it wont pass the emissions test, so it will need to be replaced before trying to go thru the emissions testing

Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much. One last question. All of the parts stores want to sell me a Bosch O2 sensor which I believe is a universal one. I haven't priced the sensor at a dealer yet, but I assume it's probably double the price. Is the after market part OK to use, or should I go with the OEM? Thanks again and I'm more than happy to pay for the info you've provided.
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

go with the OEM. the problem with universal O2 sensors is that they arte designed to fit a multitude of makes, models, and engine sizes. Therefore they are not made to the exact tolerances as far as reading in millivolts as your engine requires and as a result, they generally fail within a few weeks of installation. It is worth the extra money not to have to worry about it failing on you in a few weeks and having to re-do the repair.

Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.
go with the OEM. the problem with universal O2 sensors is that they arte designed to fit a multitude of makes, models, and engine sizes. Therefore they are not made to the exact tolerances as far as reading in millivolts as your engine requires and as a result, they generally fail within a few weeks of installation. It is worth the extra money not to have to worry about it failing on you in a few weeks and having to re-do the repair