garrtim
garrtim, service manager
Experience:  20+ years chrysler certified
6531745

my air conditioner is blowing cold air out of some vents and

Customer Question

my air conditioner is blowing cold air out of some vents and warm air from 2 vents in the front of the van. i own a 2001 chrysler town and country. Any idea what this is? I recently replaced the blower motor resistor when the fan only worked on high. That works fine now. But i've had it charged and checked the compressor. neither of these are the problem. What could it be?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  garrtim replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
garrtim :

hello, the mode doors are out of calibration and will need to be recalibrated,tim

Customer :

what are the mode doors?

Customer :

and how do i calibrate them?

garrtim :

Turn the ignition switch to the On position.

Customer :

ok and then?

garrtim :

depress and hold at the same time the Power and Recirc buttons on the control head for at least five seconds

garrtim :

it will take less than five minutes to self calibrate

garrtim :

when lights stop flashing -- calibration is complete

Customer :

ok let me try that now...give me a second

garrtim :

let me know

Customer :

ok it i did it and waited for the lights to stop but its still doing the same thing. a couple vents are blowing warm air and the others are blowing cool air not cold air.

garrtim :

then you have a mode door or internal heater box failure --heater box mode door actuators need to be tested with a scan tool and more than likley heater box removed and new mode doors replaced,tim

Customer :

where is this located on the van? how difficult is this to fix ?

garrtim :

this is located behind the dash panel - and is extremely difficult to repair

Customer :

could it be any other possibilities?

garrtim :

we tried to recalibrate the doors-- that failed -- this means either a bad actuator - which controls the doors -- or a bad door

Customer :

what causes that to go bad?

garrtim :

the doors are plastic and they break,tim

Customer :

so how much will this cost me? can u give me a rough estimate?

Customer :

Man this thing has been aggravating me! Couldnt figure out why it worked fine last week then this week crap!

garrtim :

if itis an actuator roughly ---$250 -- heater mode door requires abot 6 hours labor plus parts $500-$600

Customer :

HOLY S*&#!!!!

garrtim :

sorry, there is nothing cheapabout fixing cars

Customer :

U GOT THAT RIGHT MAN!!! LOL

garrtim :

i know -- i know

Customer :

But you know women and their darn mini vans!

garrtim :

easy but not cheap answer-- 2010-- %0 interest for 60 months

Customer :

no thank u! or hell no! do not want to get into debt ever again! especially a car payment you know?

garrtim :

i hear you---- goodluck and take care -- try the recalibrate a few more times -- you might get lucky,tim

Customer :

hell yea i hope so!

Customer :

or she'll just be hot til the weather breaks! lol

garrtim :

i have the same deal at home- take it easy bud