b5demon
b5demon, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler master technician with over 17 years in dealer
13235514

The shifting cable on my 2003 PT Cruiser (automatic trans)

Customer Question

The shifting cable on my 2003 PT Cruiser (automatic trans) snapped. The car is now stuck in reverse so I cannot start it to back it over to my mechanic who is only a quarter of a mile away. Since it's stuck in reverse I can't even push it. I've heard that there is a way to shift the gears from underneath the car. How do I do this?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  b5demon replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
b5demon :

if you open the hood and remove the air cleaner assembly you will be able to see where the shift cable hooks up to the lever on the transmission you can move that lever by hand to engage it into park the you will be able to start it once you get it started have someone else move the lever to get it into gear while you are stepping on the brake pedal

Expert:  b5demon replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I removed the air cleaner assembly. Not being a mechanic I don't know what type of cable I am looking for. Reached my hand and arm in, as best I could, and did not feel any kind of lever that would move. I am doing this from the topside. Does it need to be done from under the car? Do you have any kind of diagram?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is now 1:41 PM EST and I have unsuccessfully been looking for the cables and leverfor well over an hour. Lots of different cables but no levers of any kind. The information was not helpful so I DO NOT accept the answer. Do not bill my credit card.
Expert:  b5demon replied 6 years ago.

here is a picture of the cable sorry it took so long number 1 is the lever

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, I DO NOT Accept. Finally had to call a tow truck. The driver is also a mechanic and even he could not find the lever per your email.