sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2005 Chrysler Town & Country: I have a leak..somewhere..evap

Customer Question

Another question about my 2005 Chrysler Town & Country. A/C this time, I have a leak somewhere near or in the rear evap. Not really having the resources to have this problem fixed at the dealer, is there a way to blank off the lines to this unit and only use the A/C up front?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are a couple of ways you could go about blocking the rear evaporator.

If you look underneath the van on the right side at about the front of the passenger door area you will see the two large aluminum a/c lines running to the rear, and in this area there will be a brass fitting where the lines to the rear join the lines that come down from the firewall. You could take them apart at these fittings and install some caps on the lines. I would recommend capping both sides of the lines so you didn't get any debris or water in the rear lines while driving.

You could also remove the lines from the rear expansion valve where the rear lines go up into the body. If you remove these lines and have a blockoff plate made you could bolt the lines to the plate and seal them to it with the O rings that are already on the lines.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've heard this problem is fairly common on this model year and a couple years after. Do you have a ballpark estimate as to how much a fix costs at your typical Chrysler dealer?

It's not as common on the 2005. The most problems are on the 2006 and 2007 vans, which use a bit of a different design.

The labor time to replace the rear evaporator is 2.7 hours. The part itself runs $290 from a dealer, it would be less from an aftermarket source.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Got any ideas as to where to look for aftermarket parts? I cant seem to find anything A /C related other than hoses and orifice tubes, and an occasional compressor. The prices you mentioned don't include an evac / recharge do they? Thanks again...sorry to be bending your ear so much tonight.

The price I mentioned wouldn't include refrigerant. You would be billed for three pounds. At my dealer R134a runs about $12 a pound.

Have you tried any parts stores to find an aftermarket evaporator? If you've just tried online you might be able to find something through a parts store. I can't say for sure if one would be available or not, I've never looked for one for one of these vans.

I looked the evaporator up again and it's actually $349 from a dealer for a 2005 van. You can get a Mopar one HERE for $240.

sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Got any idea as to what size those fittings are on the passenger side? I went to several local hardware stores and was only able to find one cap to fit the smaller of the two lines. I believe it was a 5/8" fine thread. the other side of the same fitting, which will require a plug, and both sides of the other fitting (one cap, one plug) I've had no luck finding parts for. It is somewhere between the aforementioned 5/8" and 13/16" (which is evidently, the "next size up" in brass fittings, as per several hardware store employees)

No, unfortunately I don't know what size they are. I've never had to look for a cap and they don't give dimensions like that in the service or parts manuals. They may be a metric thread if it's a size in between two American sizes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That's kinda what I figured. I didn't think Chrysler would condone capping/isolating part of the system, they'd recommend fixing it...lol. Thanks anyway, I'll figure something out

Good luck with it!