Roland
Roland, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrsyler Master Certified. ASE Certified. Worked at Dealership for 18 years

Chrysler: Town..20a fuse for the hazard/directionals keeps blowing.

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Town and Country. The 20A fuse for the hazard/directionals keeps blowing. I have had the car examined by a Chrysler dealer. They had the car for a week and claimed that they couldn't get the fuse to blow. I drove away and one block from the dealer, it blew again. I took the car to another shop. They couldn't find what was causing the fuse to blow, but they replaced the hazard relay in case that was malfunctioning. They had run out of 20A fuses, so they put in a 30A. The directionals worked as I drove home, but the next morning the battery was dead. I went back to the shop and they found that the newly installed relay was fried in the "ON" position, which is what killed the battery. They replaced the relay and replaced the turn indicator switch/stalk on the steering column, thinking there might be a short there. Upon testing, they found there was nothing wrong with the switch/stalk. They checked continuity on all of the wires to the directional signals but could find nothing wrong. Once again, I left the shop and the 20A fuse blew within a half hour of leaving the shop. Over the past hour, I have replaced the fuse two additional times. So it appears that the relay is holding, but the 20A is now blowing with increasing frequency. Both I and my mechanics are pulling our hair out wondering what could be causing this problem.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Roland replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Roland

Does the vehicle have an hitch and wiring?

Does it only blow when you use the turn signals/ hazards?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No - there is no hitch or wiring for towing of any kind.

We can't tell exactly when it does blow - all we know is that the directionals will work for a few hours and then when you try them again, they don't. Upon checking the fuse, we find it has blown.

Expert:  Roland replied 3 years ago.
have you checked the 10 amp fuse in the junction box. This is located in the dash.

The 20 amp fuse that is blowing is located in the PDC (power distribution center) under the hood correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes - I checked and no other fuses have blown. Correct - the fuse that is blowing is the fuse that is located in the PDC under the hood.

I think I may have found the problem this morning. In frustration I pulled out the PDC altogether to test the socket to see if there was a problem there. When I turned over the PDC to find the correct pin to check, I found that the pin itself below the 20A fuse was loose and wobbly. No other pin on the entire board moves at all. I'm thinking that perhaps this pin moves when the car moves over pavement bumps and that momentarily increases resistance to the point where the fuse blows.

I've ordered a new PDC - 450 bucks - and hope that will resolve the issue.

Expert:  Roland replied 3 years ago.
That sounds like it would be the right repair. Just make sure that the terminal is tight on the new PDC.

I was getting there just need to get some information first.

Thank you for using justanswer.com
Roland
Please let me know if I can assist you farther