Alex
Alex, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician

1999 Chrysler LHS: water pump..my mechanic..timing belt..timing chain

I am about to attempt a water pump replacement on a 1999 Chrysler LHS with a 3.5 V6.
I was told by my mechanic it would cost me about $1400 if he did the work. I am unemployed and can't afford that so I will be doing it myself.

My questions are, do I need to replace a timing belt or timing chain at the same time? Do I need to remove the intake manifold? Is there anywhere I can find step by step instructions to do this job? Any special tools needed? Thanks in advance.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
Timing Belt Removal and Installation

REMOVAL

CAUTION: The following procedure can only be used when the camshaft sprockets HAVE NOT BEEN LOOSENED or removed from the camshafts. Refer to Camshaft Sprocket if sprocket(s) or camshaft(s) have been loosened or removed.

CAUTION: The 3.2/3.5L are NOT freewheeling engines. Therefore, care should be taken not to rotate the camshafts or crankshaft with the timing belt removed.

1. Disconnect negative cable from remote jumper terminal.
  2. Remove upper radiator crossmember.
  3. Disconnect fan module electrical connector.
  4. Remove cooling fan module and accessory drive belts.
  5. Remove crankshaft damper and front timing belt covers.
  6. Mark belt running direction, if timing belt is to be reused. CAUTION: When aligning timing marks, always rotate engine by turning the crankshaft. Failure to do so will result in valve and/or piston damage.

Fig. 74

1. Rotate engine clockwise until crankshaft mark aligns with the TDC mark on oil pump housing and the camshaft sprocket timing marks are between the marks on the rear covers. CAUTION: Align the camshaft sprockets between the marks on rear belt covers before timing belt removal or damage to valve and/or pistons could occur.
  2. Using a ink or paint marker; mark the exact position of the camshaft sprocket timing mark relative to the two timing marks on the rear timing cover. NOTE: When timing belt tensioner is removed from engine, always store in the vertical (plunger facing upward) position.

Fig. 75

1. Remove the timing belt tensioner and remove timing belt.

Timing Belt Tensioner

1. When tensioner is removed from the engine it is necessary to compress the plunger into the tensioner body. CAUTION: Compress the tensioner slowly, as damage to tensioner could result.

Fig. 76

1. Place the tensioner into a vise and SLOWLY compress the plunger. Total bleed down of tensioner should take about 5 minutes. CAUTION: Index the tensioner in the vise the same way it is installed on the engine. This is to ensure proper pin orientation when tensioner is installed on the engine.
  2. When plunger is compressed into the tensioner body install a pin through the body and plunger to retain plunger in place until tensioner is installed. NOTE: When timing belt tensioner is removed from engine, always store in the vertical (plunger facing upward) position.

INSTALLATION

CAUTION: This procedure can only be used when the camshaft sprockets HAVE NOT BEEN LOOSENED or removed from the camshafts.

CAUTION: If camshafts have moved from the timing marks, always rotate camshaft towards the direction nearest to the timing marks (DO NOT TURN CAMSHAFTS A FULL REVOLUTION OR DAMAGE to valves and/or pistons could result).

Fig. 77

1. Align the crankshaft sprocket with the TDC mark on oil pump cover.
  2. Align the camshaft sprockets (to reference mark made upon removal) between the marks on the rear covers.
  3. Install the timing belt starting at the crankshaft sprocket going in a counterclockwise direction. Install the belt around the last sprocket. Maintain tension on the belt as it is positioned around the tensioner pulley.
  4. Holding the tensioner pulley against the belt. Install the tensioner into the housing and tighten to28 Nm (250 inch lbs.) . Each camshaft sprocket mark should still fall between the cover marks.
  5. When tensioner is in place pull retaining pin to allow the tensioner to extend to the pulley bracket.
  6. Rotate crankshaft sprocket 2 revolutions and check the timing marks on the camshafts and crankshaft. The marks should line up within their respective locations. If marks do not line up, repeat procedure.
  7. Install timing belt covers and crankshaft damper.
  8. Install accessory drive belts and cooling fan module.
  9. Install upper radiator crossmember.
  10. Connect negative cable to remote jumper terminal.
  11. Start engine and allow to idle for approximately 1 minute. If a noise is present from the timing belt/tensioner, air has possibly entered the tensioner.
    1. To remove air from tensioner; using a DRB III, operate the engine at speed of 1600-2000 RPM for 10 minutes. This will purge air from tensioner. NOTE: If air is present, the timing belt tensioner will be soft and may generate noise. This noise should disappear after no more than 15 minutes of engine running time.

Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
Water Pump Replacement

REMOVAL
The water pump on all models can be replaced without discharging the air conditioning system.

WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE PRESSURE CAP WITH THE SYSTEM HOT AND UNDER PRESSURE BECAUSE SERIOUS BURNS FROM COOLANT CAN OCCUR.

NOTE: It is normal for the water pump to weep a small amount of coolant from the weep hole (black stain on water pump body). Do not replace the water pump if this condition exists. Replace the water pump if a heavy deposit or a steady flow of engine coolant is evident on water pump body from the weep hole (shaft seal failure). Be sure to perform a thorough analysis before replacing water pump.

1. Drain cooling system.
  2. Remove accessory drive belts.
  3. The water pump is driven by the timing belt. Refer to Timing Belt for component removal to provide access to water pump.

Fig. 20

1. Remove water pump mounting bolts (Fig. 20).
  2. Remove water pump body from engine (Fig. 20).

INSTALLATION

1. Clean all O-ring surfaces on pump and cover.

Fig. 21

1. Apply Mopar (R) Dielectric Grease or equivalent to the O-ring to facilitate assembly. Install new O-ring on water pump (Fig. 21).
  2. Install water pump to engine mounting bolts and tighten to 12 Nm (105 in. lbs.) .
  3. Install timing belt.
  4. Install accessory drive belts.
  5. Fill cooling system.

Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
Are you able to view all of the pictures? Let me know if you need anything else.
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
Now that you've viewed the answer, please click accept. If you would like to ask anymore questions before accepting, please feel free.. Thank you.
Alex, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Technician