Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

05 pt cruiser code 344 cam sensor replace still same

Customer Question

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

You will need to check out the wiring going to the cam sensor, cam sensor/magnet behind it, and timing marks. Sometimes when the timing belt gets old it can stretch causing the cam reading to be off setting this code. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
engine bogs down after 2500 rpms wires seem ok could computer be in limp mode
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
I would start with the same things because if any of the above were the problem it could cause this to happen. But if you get the code to clear and still have this problem I'd replace the wires anyway and then check for a clogged converter. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
where do wires go and what voltage should be
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

The orange wire should have 5v and you will need to do resistance test between camshaft sensor connector and pcm connector to verify wiring is good. Here is a wire diagram, let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
wires ok done resistance check
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Ok, if the camshaft position sensor/magnet is good then the next step is to check the timing marks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
scanner says there is 19 degree differance incam crank position
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Thats definitly a problem, they should be about the same so next step is checking the marks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how and where are the marks

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

You will need to remove the timing cover and here is a picture of the marks.

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

timeing ok

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
If wiring is good, camshaft sensor/magnet is good, timing is good, then the only possibly problem is the pcm....But be 100% sure everything else is good first.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

changed pcm same thing looked at timing belt may behalf tooth off is that possible cause

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Thats is definitly possible and considering what has been it should be the only possible option.....You will need to remove belt cover and line up the marks to see what your dealing with. Even if the belt stretches a little it could cause this code.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

already remove cover how to remove center mount bracket

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

Here are instructions.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic