sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Pt cruiser: camshaft..crankshaft sensor..a code of P0344 and P0334

Have a 03 pt cruiser turbo.. I recently wrote about a camshaft and crankshaft sensor problem. Have a code of P0344 and P0334. I replaced them both and now get this list:
0 codes
Mil off
3 Inc
02 Sensor
3 Ready

The plugs and wires ok. The vacuum is ok Compression is fine. The fuel injectors are reading normal voltage. They are injecting fuel, but I suspect a bad injector in one or more cylinders. The number two and three spark plug threads have gas on them, but not on the tip of the plug. Maybe the injectors are dumping to much fuel and they never been replaced.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Are you having a problem with the way the car is running now?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

At idle the car is fine, after warm up the has hesitation problems.

Can you explain how the hesitation feels? The more detail you can include the better.

Did the hesitation only start after replacing the cam sensor?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The hesitation happened before also. The code was P0344.
Where did you buy the replacement cam sensor? How long ago was it replaced?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
1 week ago. The hesitation is like a stumble and let off the pedal and the engine backfire. Autozone.
Is this hesitation and backfire something that started happening with this new cam sensor?

You had said that you weren't setting any codes, and then said it was setting a P0344. Is it setting the code again now?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It seem to be intermittent . The code shows up, then the meter reads 0 codes, but the engine light stays on.

If the P0344 is still setting then you've still got a cam sensor related problem. There are only a couple things this can be.

It could be related to cam sensor wiring, but that is fairly rare.

It could be a loose magnet on the end of the cam. The cam sensor gets it's signal from a magnet that is mounted with a single bolt to the end of the cam.

It could be the sensor itself.

At this point I would pull the sensor back off and make sure the magnet on the end of the cam is in good shape. If it was, I would replace the cam sensor with a quality Mopar unit. Aftermarket cam and crank sensors have been known to cause alot of problems for a couple reasons, and aren't recommend for use on Chrysler products.

They can produce an incorrect signal. The signal they produce needs to be a perfect 5v-0v square waveform. Aftermarket sensors can sometimes not make the whole 0-5 matrix, and sometimes the peaks of their signals aren't square, meaning the voltage ramps up and down slowly. This will be an unrecognizable signal.

They have also had problems with not being built to manufacturer's specs. Due to the way they are built the engine controller will sometimes see a large difference in cam/crank sync degree difference. If this goes out of a window far enough you will start setting cam sensor codes, on newer vehicles aftermarket cam sensors can even set a code for the cam and crank being misaligned.

It's pretty likely that you just need to replace your cam sensor with a quality Mopar unit. If you don't see anything wrong with the sensor wiring or the magnet you are pretty safe just replacing the sensor, clearing the codes and the problem probably won't come back.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I hooked up the reader again to see if ther are any changes, and noticed a different code came up P0334 , which is the knock sensor, which would be the number 4 circuit.

P0334 isn't a valid code for your car, what you saw was probably the same P0344. The knock sensor code used for your car would be P0325.