Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years

2008 Chrysler Sebring: latch..the hydraulic lifts that..trunk lid

Customer Question

My 2008 Chrysler Sebring convertible has a trunk latch issue. The 'deck' light is on and the latch will not close. At the same time, the hydraulic lifts that hold the trunk up when you put stuff in are also not working so you have to hold the heavy trunk lid to put anything in. The trunk is empty and the only thing that has happened since my purchase was having a tire fixed. So I go to a dealer who immediately tells me I am missing a $600 part that keeps things from landing on the
top area . The guy found a quarter in the sensor that this part is supposed to be in. The top worked perfectly before this latch issue... Est. is minimum of $1000. I think I am getting royally screwed here.. HELP - I HAVE OWNED THIS CAR FOR SIX MONTHS AND EVERYTHING WORKED PERFECTLY. IT IS POSSIBLE SOMETHING HEAVY LANDED ON THE 'DO NOT PUT LUGGAGE ZONE; BUT NOTHING HAD EVER PROHIBITED THE TOP FROM OPERATING PERFECTLY.
IF THE WEIGHT WAS THE ISSUE, CAN'T THAT BE CORRECTED AND 'DON'T PUT ANYTHING IN THE TRUNK AGAIN" I do not have this kind of money to invest in this car - I am hoping this is a simpler issue than I have been told.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  marcpod replied 6 years ago.
Welcome. Shari Is this vehicle not under warranty?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No. I bought it used from a lot - it was a rental they purchased/. 40K miles

Unless Chrysler has a hidden warranty .. no I have none.

Expert:  marcpod replied 6 years ago.

Did you happen to get a extended warranty?. Did they give you a breakdown of the cost?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

That is irrelevant. The dealer said it was going to cost $1000 to fix the latch and top.