Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.

2001 chrysler pt cruiser manual transmission, will shift when

2001 chrysler pt cruiser manual transmission, will shift when vehicle is turn off. Will not shift when vehicle is on at all. No leakes, however there is a plastic part attached to the slve cylinder that is broken
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

You will need to replace the slave cylinder then. When the car is off, the clutch doesnt have to be depressed to put it in different gears. With engine on and flywheel spinning the clutch has to be disengaged from the flywheel in order to shift gears. With part of the slave cylinder broken it wont engage the fork enough to allow disengagement of the clutch disc from the flywheel in order to shift gears.

Non-turbo:

1. Verify proper brake fluid level and top off if necessary. Install and tighten brake master cylinder cap to prevent clutch hydraulic system drainage.
  2. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  3. Using suitable screwdriver, release both slave cylinder hydraulic line snap ring retainers. Do not separate at this time.
  4. Remove slave cylinder-to-transaxle mounting bolts.
  5. Have replacement slave cylinder ready. Remove slave cylinder from transaxle and separate from hydraulic tube. Quickly attach replacement slave cylinder to plumbing and secure with both retaining clips.

To install:

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Clutch slave cylinder installation location-non turbo models

1. Install the slave cylinder assembly into position on transaxle.
  2. Tighten slave cylinder-to-transaxle bolts to168 inch lbs. (19 Nm) on 2.0/2.4L applications, and 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm) torque on 1.6L applications .
  3. Connect clutch hydraulic supply tube to slave cylinder. Install NEW roll pin and cotter key.
  4. Carefully lower the vehicle.
  5. Verify clutch master cylinder reservoir is full. Top off with DOT 3 brake fluid if necessary.
  6. Bleed clutch hydraulic system.
  7. Verify proper clutch release system operation
  • From driver's seat, actuate clutch pedal 60-100 times. Verify clutch operation/pedal feel. If pedal still feels spongy, or clutch does not fully disengage, excessive air is still trapped within the system. Perform the following procedure:
  • Verify fluid level in clutch master cylinder reservoir. Top off with DOT 3 brake fluid as necessary.
  • Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  • Remove clutch slave cylinder assembly from the transaxle case, but do not disconnect from the system. Allow the slave cylinder hang, making it the lowest part of the system.
    CAUTION While slave cylinder is detached from the transaxle, DO NOT actuate the clutch master cylinder. Damage to the slave cylinder will result.
  • Depress slave cylinder pushrod until it bottoms and then release. Repeat this at least ten times, forcing trapped air upwards and out of the system.
  • Re-install slave cylinder into position. Torque slave cylinder to case bolt to 168 inch lbs. (19 Nm).
  • Carefully lower the vehicle.
  • Check and adjust clutch master cylinder fluid level. Actuate clutch pedal thirty (30) times. Verify clutch operation/pedal feel. If pedal still feels spongy, or clutch does not fully disengage, air is still trapped within the system. Repeat Step 3 through Step 7 until air is purged. If several attempts at purging air from the system are unsuccessful, replace both the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder assemblies.
  • Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  • Carefully lower the vehicle.
  • Top off clutch master cylinder fluid level with DOT 3 brake fluid as necessary.
  •  

If yours is a turbo, let me know so I can provide those directions as the transaxle has to be removed to replace the slave cylinder

Edited by eric on 6/18/2010 at 2:03 PM EST
    Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
    Experience: 20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have to put the vehicle in gear before start then the vehicle will only move in that gear, If i push the pedal all the way you can hear a noise; if I pull just a little to release will not release the gear. Ihave to shut down the vehicle before be able to switch gears. I just don't want to spend a lot of money on a clutch if that is not what is wrong with it

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Ok, we need to have someone watch the slave cylinder and fork while you are depressing the clutch pedal with the engine running. If it doesnt extend the fork fully, then replace the slave cylinder. If it does extend it all the way then, its the clutch itself

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager