CDJMasterTech, Chrysler MasterTech
Experience:  Factory trained and certified Chrysler Master Technician, ASE Master Technician

2002 Chrysler Sebring Limited: is in lock out mode

My 2002 Chrysler Sebring Limited is in lock out mode. The Chrysler authorized dealer can't get it reset. What are my options?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  CDJMasterTech replied 6 years ago.
What exactly do you mean by "lock out mode"? What exactly is the car doing? Did the problem just happen all at once?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes it happened suddenly. There was a thunderstorm at night. The next morning it wouldn't start. Nothing no clicking or any sound. Battery is fully charged. All the power stuff works. We hauled to an authorized service place. They put it on the computer and said the security system is keeping it from starting but the computer that should tell them how to reset it "wouldn't let him in".
I am interpreting from your information that the technician could access other computers on the car, but not the SKIM, (Security Key Immobilizer), module. Assuming this is the case it is a relatively simple matter to confirm that the SKIM module is getting appropriate power, ground and bus communication. Assuming all the inputs to the SKIM module are there then the SKIM module is bad. If the technician working on the vehicle is not capable of doing this, you might want to consider taking the vehicle to a larger, more experienced dealer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If the SKIM module is bad, would that cause the "lock-out" or whatever you call it? Any idea what it might cost to replace it?
It is possible for any module on the car to fail in such a way as that it would not communicate with the other modules. I would not exactly call this "lock-out", but I have to assume that this is what the technician is referring to. Expect to pay about $300 parts and labor to replace and program the new SKIM module.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Awesome. Thanks!