Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  25 years certified Chrysler technician and ASE Certified Master Technician
12365498

Hello, I have a 2004 chrysler crossfire. The key is not turning

I have a 2004 chrysler crossfire. The key is not turning in the ignition. What do I need to replace and how do I do this?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer Chrysler. You will need to replace the ignition lock cylinder. But before you do that, try tapping on the end of the key (like you were trying to tap the key further into the lock. Then see if it will turn. If so, remove the key and spray a good penetrating lubricant into the lock cylinder. then reinsert the key and work it a little. Sometimes this helps. If not, then I recommend having a lock smith replace and re key a new lock cylinder for you. There are mobile lock smiths that will come to your car and do this on the spot.

hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this.

Chris

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

But it's not a normal key and I went to the dealership and they told me that I was going to need a new ignition lock cylinder, and new ignition lock cylinder housing, and a new ignition switch, which was all going to cost around $1000.00. All I want to know is what I really replace and how to do it.

Thanks!

Expert:  Chris replied 4 years ago.

Ok here is what you will need to do:

Chris

REMOVAL

1 - IGNITION SWITCH CONNECTOR
2 - IGNITION SWITCH
3 - WASHER
4 - PARKING LOCK VALVE
5 - CAM
6 - STEERING LOCK
7 - PARK/BRAKE INTERLOCK CABLE
8 - BUZZER
9 - LOCKING PIN
10 - RELEASE CLAMP

1 - IGNITION SWITCH CONNECTOR
2 - IGNITION SWITCH
3 - WASHER
4 - PARKING LOCK VALVE
5 - CAM
6 - STEERING LOCK
7 - PARK/BRAKE INTERLOCK CABLE
8 - BUZZER
9 - LOCKING PIN
10 - RELEASE CLAMP

1. Remove the lower instrument panel cover.(Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/INSTRUMENT PANEL ASSEMBLY - REMOVAL).
  2. Remove the transponder coil from the ignition lock cylinder by Inserting a plastic wedge directly between the lock cylinder cover sleeve and the transponder coil. Once the plastic wedge is in position apply slight pressure to the transponder coil to remove it from the ignition lock cylinder. Once the transponder coil in removed from the ignition lock cylinder, reposition the coil out of the way.

CAUTION: The steering lock and lock cylinder can only be fitted in lock cylinder position "1". NEVER turn the steering lock when the ignition/starter switch is not fitted.

3. Remove the key cylinder.(Refer to 19 - STEERING/COLUMN/IGNITION SWITCH - REMOVAL).
  4. Disconnect the connector (8) from the warning buzzer contact.
  5. Remove the parking lock interlock cable (7).

NOTE: Vehicles with automatic transmission

6. Release the clamp (10), press in locking pin (9) and pull the steering lock (6) out of the steering column.
  7. Disconnect the connector (1) from the ignition/starter switch.

NOTE: The ignition switch must not be turned out of position "1" when the ignition/starter switch is not fitted, otherwise the steering lock is locked permanently

8. Remove the ignition switch (2) from the steering lock (6).
  9. Remove the washer (3) and parking lock valve (4).
  10. Remove the warning buzzer (8) contact and switch.

INSTALLATION

1 - IGNITION SWITCH CONNECTOR
2 - IGNITION SWITCH
3 - WASHER
4 - PARKING LOCK VALVE
5 - CAM
6 - STEERING LOCK
7 - PARK/BRAKE INTERLOCK CABLE
8 - BUZZER
9 - LOCKING PIN
10 - RELEASE CLAMP

CAUTION: The steering lock and lock cylinder can only be fitted in lock cylinder position "1". Never turn the steering lock when the ignition/starter switch is not fitted.

1. Install the washer (3) and the parking lock valve (4).

NOTE: The ignition switch must not be turned out of position "1" when the ignition/starter switch is not fitted, otherwise the steering lock is locked permanently.

2. Install the ignition switch (2).
  3. Install the connector from the ignition/starter switch (1).
  4. Install the clamp (9), press in locking pin to install the steering lock (6) to the steering column.
  5. Install the warning buzzer contact switch (8).
  6. Install the parking lock interlock cable (7).
  7. Install the connector from the warning buzzer contact (10).
  8. Install the key cylinder.(Refer to 19 - STEERING/COLUMN/KEY/LOCK CYLINDER - INSTALLATION).
  9. Install the transponder coil.
  10. Install the lower instrument panel cover.(Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/INSTRUMENT PANEL ASSEMBLY - REMOVAL).
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: 25 years certified Chrysler technician and ASE Certified Master Technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I remove the lower instrument panel cover? I have unskrewed everything and it is not coming off....
Expert:  Chris replied 4 years ago.

Here is that procedure for you. Thanks for the accept!

Chris

LOWER I/P PANEL LEFT

300" height="300"/>

1. Remove the air nozzle and the screw behind the nozzle.
  2. Remove the screw (3) attaching the cover under the steering column then remove the cover (2).
  3. Remove the fuse panel cover.
  4. Remove the screws (1) attaching the lower instrument cover (5) to the illumination control module (4) and the side of the instrument panel to the support bar (6). Remove the screw at the top of lower cover to cluster cover.
  5. Remove the illumination control module (7).
  6. Pull the lower instrument cover (2) off of the cluster cover.

7. Remove the screw (2) attaching the hood latch release handle bezel to the lower instrument panel and then guide the handle through the lower cover (1).

8. Separate the lower panel (2) from the cluster cover (1) and then remove the lower instrument panel.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok....thanks. How do you remove the key cylinder? I promise I will pay you for these last two questions! I appreciate your help!
Expert:  Chris replied 4 years ago.

Ok, this is all I can find in my service information. It looks like you will need to turn the lock with the key however. Try the tapping thing I mentioned at the begining to try to get it to turn.

Chris

REMOVAL

NOTE: If the lock cylinder/key is notched or jamming, spray the lock cylinder with lock cylinder grease. If it is not possible to eliminate the complaint, replace the lock cylinder and key.
1.Press out the escutcheon (2) with a suitable tool.

2.Pull the transponder coil (3) off the lock cylinder (2) with a plastic wedge (1).
3.Push the sleeve onto the cap and turn the lock cylinder to position "1" with the key.

4.Unlock the lock cylinder (1) by turning the cap counter-clockwise through 90° and then remove.

Chris, Shop Foreman