Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Grand Voyager: Plymouth..It just quit running while driving

Customer Question

2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager. It just quit running while driving. I has fuel. The engine will turn over, but not fire. There is no voltage going to the coil. ?????? One person on here told me to dissaeble the relay box and try to find a broekn wire, because on the auto shut-off relay, I only have 12.8v on one term instead of two. I haven't found a broken wire yet and I really need help. My last helper stopped answering.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX you are not getting power to the coil, then we will have to check few things, do you have a test light or voltmeter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes...I have a volt meter....

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
ok, in the fuse box under the hood, you need to locate the auto shut down relay, first swap this relay with the a/c relay next to it, and see if it starts, if not pull the relay and with the key on, check the terms for power and tell me which ones have power,Tim
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Am I supposed to be measuring with VDC. If so, it seems that the only one with power is 30. It reads 12.8 v. The other plug slots only show a minimal mv reading. I'm reading this with a Craftsman digital multimeader.

p.s. It would not start by just swapping relays. I had already tried that before we spoke, but I tried it again anyway.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
there should be power on the 86 term, if there is no power there, then you have a problem inside the relay box, the 86 gets itspower from the same source as the 30, so if the 30 has power, then it is a wiring problem in the box, and it will need to be disassembled to find the open wire,Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I may be misunderstanding.....85 has 80.6 mv. 30 is reading 12.8 v. 86 has nothing. Is there anything else besides a wire being loose or broke inside that box that can cause this? (Other realy, Performance Control Module, Crankshaft Sensor/Module, etc.) I just want to know before I remove the battery terminals and try to take this box apart. Is it a broekn wire I am looking for then?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
I will post the wiring diagram for this, you will see that the 86 gets its power from the same source as the 30, therefore if the 30 has power, then there is a brake inside the box,Tim
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The picture of the top of the box with the terminal numbers is too blurry to read. I am trying to verify my info against it, but cannot read it.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
the relay will have the term number on it too, on the bottom,Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have taken the relay box apart, removed all the relays. The only thing further that could be taken apart is removed the stab ends that hold the relays in place. Underneath that is a circuit board of some sort. I even removed the two bolts holding the box in place and swung it up to look at the plugs underneath it. I have found no broken wires.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I didn't "accept answer" because it was not what was wrong. I replied back, but did not get a response. I still have not fixed the van, but it is NOT the relay box or relays or the PCM for sure, as all relays and ports have been checked and the PCM was swapped out with an exact duplicate and it still did not start. I hooked it up to an OBD computer I rented from Autozone, and NO codes were found.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
.