Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
2947720

2007 Chrysler Pacifica: dealership..smoke coming..the hood..windshield

I have a 2007 Chrysler Pacifica that has a smell of burning oil every day that I drive it. My dealership said they found nothing wrong. After I drive it 50 miles or so, I can smell burning oil and when I shut the car off there is smoke coming from under the hood, near the windshield.

There is little to no fluid on the garage floor....

What's wrong?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

It sounds like there may be a small amount of oil that is leaking out the valve cover, (in the rear) and burning off of the exhaust manifold. You could also put some dye in the oil to have it checked with an ultra violet light, to pinpoint the leak.

With any oil leak I recommend checking the PCV system. When there is a high crankcase pressure, the oil will be pushed out. Most times it seems to get out the rear main seal. That may not be the case with yours though.

The best way to be sure is to clean off all of the existing oil, (make sure it's full) then run the engine while you look to see if it is coming from the top, (below the valve covers) or if it is in between the engine and trans., that would be the rear main seal. But you will want to check the PCV system first, to make sure that the oil is not being forced out, thanks

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager