Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1993 CHRYSLER New Yorker: crank sensor..fuel pump relay..you jumper it

Customer Question

1993 CHRYSLER New Yorker 3.3 automatic, car died going through intersection. it has no fuel or fire, replaced cam and crank sensor and fuel pump relay. There is no ground going to the feul relay, if you jumper it the fuel pump works but no spark. what is next step.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX will be happy to help you out and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with....

The first thing to do is to be sure the computer is awake. Turn the key on and check reference voltage to the tps, cam and crank sensors. If there is full reference voltage, check to be sure the ASD relay is engaging when trying to start the engine and that there is power to the injectors and coil/coils when cranking. IF there is no power to the injectors or coil when cranking and the ASD relay is not engaging, then we might have a bad cam or crank sensor (or a valve timing issue).

If there is no reference voltage to these sensors with the key on, then the computer might not be waking up. We will need to check all powers and grounds going into the computer with the key on. This includes, all powers through the computer fuses, fusible links and even the ignition switch.

Hint: Sometimes the cam and crank sensors can short out and pull the computer down temporarily. IF you have already replaced them, then check the reference voltage to the sensors with the key on. If all powers and grounds check out and we still do not have any reference voltage to the cam, crank or the tps, then disconnect them one by one with the key on to see if the reference voltage comes back.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Where is the ASD not in relay box or fuse box. Is computer under steering wheel to the left.
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.
Hello!

Sorry for the delay!

The ASD relay is located in the power distribution box under the hood. It is going to be relay number 3 or 9. I believe its number 3.

graphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No 3 is fuel pump relay there is not a no 9. no 3 is the one with no ground to activate the relay if i jump a ground to it the fuel pump comes on but no fire. what activates the asd relay, the coil pack has 3 hots and one ground the crank and cam sensors have voltage with key on, no fire to the plugs
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.
Ok... the computer will ground the ASD relay ONLY when it sees the cam and crank signal in sync with each other. If one of these sensor is bad, the computer will not ground the ASD relay.

In addition, the if the computer is not powered up for some reason, it will not ground the ASD relay.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok ihave voltage to the coil and sensors but not the injectors which means the computer is not powered up or is not getting signals in sync. tested old and new sensors with ohm meter and seem to be good. will get back to you in a little bit.
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.
Sounds good!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is computer on drivers fender behind battery and fresh air tube
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
COULD YOU SEND ME A SCHEMATIC SHOWING WHICH PINS ON THE ECU PLUG SHOULD HAVE 12 VOLTS 4 VOLTS AND 2 VOLTS
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.
You bet!

Here you go!

graphic
graphic
graphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Does a new computer (P.C.M.) for the 1990 chrysler new yorker have to be flashed by the dealer? I have been told yes and no, the people who sold it said yes but a friend who works at a dealer said he didnt think so because of the age of the car.
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.
NO.. it should just be plug and play. It should not have to be flashed.