Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
3195632

96 sebring: 6 cyl 2.5l (2 problems) #1..drove..sputter..dealer says

Customer Question

I have a 96 sebring convertable jxi 6 cyl 2.5l (2 problems) #1 -when last drove it acted fine fine upon itially starting and would go for about 10 miles then suddenly act like it was't getting enough gas- especially if slowed down or stopped. If I turned off it would sputter like it wasn't getting enough gas when restarted unless allowed to sit for several hours prior to restarting. Research pointed mostly to EGC - local dealer says "no such thing" . #2 I let it sit for a couple of years just starting it now and then and driving just a miles or so. It was last started about 6 mos ago now and had to be jumped due to a dead bettery. I tried jumping it this week and it wouldn't turn over - was getting power to dash cluster- put in new battery and now turns over but still won't start.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

To be honest, I have never heard of an EGC either. Is it possible you mean EGR problem instead?

When you insert the key into the ignition and turn to on, does the security light come on and then go out? when you turn the key all the way over, does it make any noise at all, like a click, or just nothing?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I don't know if it is an EGR problem - All I know is what my research (mostly internet) pointed to something called an EGC for example (http://chryslersebringseo.com/key-1997-chrysler-sebring-egc-sensor.html and http://www.faqs.org/qa/qa-4643.html ) are leaded with references to it. So I guess I have been misinformed which is what brought me to justanswers.com.

When I turn the ignition to ON there is no security light- just oil, battery, abs, & temp. -all but ABS goes out after a few seconds. When I turn the key all the way over the engine turns over but does not start (pior to chaning the battery i didn't get that much)

Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

Ok, I read those forums. I believe that the consumers are actually referring to the EGR(exhaust gas recirculation) valve or sensor, which if clogged with carbon deposits or the vacuum is not working in it, can cause performance issues.

But first, we need to concentrate on the no-start condition right now. If you have a can of starting fluid or even carb or throttle body cleaner, we need to see if you are missing fuel or spark.

spray some starting fluid/carb/throttle body cleaner into the throttle body and try to start. If it does start and run for a few seconds, you have spark but no fuel, most likely a failed fuel pump, which would explain the previous problems you were having.

If it doesnt start, then we are missing spark, and you will need a voltmeter to run a couple of tests to see where the spark is lost at.

do this and let me know the results so we can go from there

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have replaced the fuel pump so I know that is not the issue. I discovered that the ASD fuse was blown and replaced it- assuming this is what is causing the car to not start, The fuse blows as soon as I put it in. It does this with the fuel pump unplugged as well. I have swapped relays- no change, and looked for frayed, worn and broken wires that could be causing a short- found nothing (of course there are places I can't see). what would cause this fuse to blow and does this cart have an ASD reset button? I have looked in trunk and under dash with no luck- I don't have an owner's manual.