Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician
Experience:  24 Year Factory Trained and Certified

2001 PT Cruiser: blown fuse..The repair shop replaced the fuel pump

My 2001 PT Cruiser has died three times with a blown fuse. The repair shop replaced the fuel pump the first time. They said the fuel pump is the only devise on this fuse. The second time they checked the new fuel pump and said it was okay, replaced the fuse, and I was able to drive the car for a couple of days. I just had to have the car towed after the fuse blew again. I replaced the fuse twice and it blew again before I could restart the car. It is now at the repair shop waiting until Monday. Any suggestions??

Welcome to Just Answer Chrysler my name is Mark.

What is the fuse # XXXXX is blowing. Is it in the inside fuse box or under the hood?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is a 20 amp fuse under the hood. Unfortunately, the car had to be towed to the shop and I don't know the number.

Ok, that use supplies power to the fuel pump relay which only controls the fuel pump. However, this fuse also supplies power to the asd relay and there are a number of components that the asd relay controls so this makes it a little tough. One of the things it controls is the 02 sensor heaters and these have been known to short internally and cause the fuse to blow.

So, a good thorough visual inspection of the wiring is going to be needed to make sure there are no shorts to ground, and then if that is ok, then you have to start considering the fact that there is a component causing the short like an 02 sensor, egr solenoid, fuel injector, ignition coil......etc.