ricardo hohl
ricardo hohl, Instructor
Experience:  ase master/factory certified/and automotive instructor
14457476

2006 pt cruiser is overheating. changed radiator cap and thermostat.

2006 pt cruiser is overheating. changed radiator cap and thermostat. burped system while running ( Is that the right way? Thermostat is off-set so is the burp hole on thermostat suppose to line up with notch on rubber gasket? ) . Still overheats. pressure tested cooling system, holds pressure with no leaks. compression tested, tested good. changed plugs. Took to a chrysler dealer and paid 110.00 to have them tell me they couldn't duplicate the problem but it was overheating again before I got home. They say I'll have to pay another 110.00 to look at it again. I also tested relays for fan and low and high speeds. Low come on at 1/2 and high when a/c is on and when between 1/2 and 3/4. It starts to overheat while driving 40-50mph then when I get in stop and go traffic then it really starts to over heat and when a/c has been on for awhile. I used the coolant you can use with any type, does that make a difference
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 4 years ago.
ok, does it overheat on the highway or normal driving ?does it boils over when you turn the engine of? does it temps to overheat when first started?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It does not overheat right away. It seems to start heating up when driving about 45 mph then when I start driving in stop and go traffic then it really starts heating up till the overheat signal comes on then i stop immediatly
ok do you here the fan go on at that time when overheating
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I do. When I'ts overheating the fan is on high
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when i turn the car off water starts boiling over in reservior
ok if the radiator reserve bottle is boiling over is due to back pressure cause by heat expansion and pressure cause by the head gasket leaking compression in to the water jackets and pushing the water out to the reserve bottle this problem is a known problem with 2.4 litters, you need a head gasket.
ricardo hohl, Instructor
Experience: ase master/factory certified/and automotive instructor