Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Dodge Caravan, transmission stuck in second gear.

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Does the check engine light come on and if so any codes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The check engine light has been on for a long time, but transmission had been working fine and no engine trouble at all. I did notice that after going through a puddle of water after heavy rain, the problem started.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Did you try disconnecting the battery?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Try turning the key on and off three times and leave the key on the last time and see if any codes come up on the instrument panel. Do not crank the engine. It will look like this: ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Check engine flash 10 times.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a parts store near by to take the van to? They will normally check the codes for free.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The trans is not stuck in 2nd, it hesitates when shifting from 1st to 2nd at low speed, if I gas it normally, it shifts just fine and continues okay.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
When was the last time the fluid and filter was replaced in the transmission?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
5 days ago.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
What your describing is low pressure from the pump and the higher rpm is creating more pressure. With no codes this is most likely the cause of the problem but not sure so I will see if any of the others here on the site have any ideas. Hang on and I will send your question to them.
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

hi

does it still have all 4 gears?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, all four, just a hesitation when shifting from 1st to 2nd at low speed, like when in slow trafic. If brownjeff is right (to what I agree) about low preasure, is there something I can do to improve it without dropping the trans?
Cesar

ok

jeff may be somewhat right..but,the solenoid block on these a604 transmissions are bad about going out and will cause this problem...the solenoids are located just behind the dipstick[may be covered by a rubber boot]and will cost around $150+/-

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Solenoid Assembly Replacement

REMOVAL

Input Speed Sensor Removed
Remove Sound Cover
Remove Attaching Screws
Remove Solenoid Assembly

INSTALLATION
To install solenoid assembly, reverse removal procedure. Tighten screws to 12 Nm (105 inch lbs.) .

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.