Roadside Jerry
Roadside Jerry, Mechanic
Experience:  30 years working on Chrysler products while employed by the NYPD Fleet Service Division
1699649

89 LeBaron: rack..steering column coupler held on by a roll pin

Trying to remove a rack and pionion from an 89 LeBaron. Is the steering column coupler held on by a roll pin? How do I get it out? Ther is not much room and no good angle to get anything in therre to pound it out. Also, will the rack come out without removing the crossmemeber it is mounted to? The Chilton manual says I have to remove the crossmemeber, but it looks like it will slide out without doing that. I am able to get to evrything but that stupid pin.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Roadside Jerry replied 6 years ago.

Hi Blue Barge, you don't have tom remove the crossmember, just take out the bolts and lower it down. This will give you better access to drive out the roll pin that secures the steering coupler. To remove the pin, you need a 1/4" pin punch. Here are the instructions from my service information.

graphicgraphic