moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE and CHRYSLER Master Tech 30 years Chrysler Dodge&Jeep Dealership Exp
13195827

2002 Chrysler Sebring: that keeps blowing the Starter Fuse

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Chrysler Sebring that keeps blowing the Starter Fuse! What could cause this?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.
will it blow the fuse just turning the key on without spinning the engine over?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes!

Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.
Most likely the fuel pump is bad and is what is blowing the fuse.You can unplug the fuel pump from the tank and then turn the key on to see if it stops blowing the fuse. If it does you will need to replace the fuel pump
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Where on the tank is the fuel pump located?

Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.
It is mounted on the top of the fuel tank. you can also just remove the fuel pump relay to do the same thing. It is in the fuse box on the end of the dash on the drivers side.when you remove the cover the fuses and relay locations are shown on the cover. I will send you a picture as well
Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I checked the fuse I had been replacing in the fuse/relay box under the hood one last time before I pulled the relay you suggested. The fuse was still intact and everything seems like it's working, but it won't turn over at all now.
Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.
Ok then you must have a bad starter.You most likely can just tap on the starter to get it to spin over again.If it starts blowing the fuse spinning the engine over then you will need to replace the starter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tapped on starter, still nothing.

Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.
Do you have anyway to check for power going to the starter? Did you recheck the fuse to make sure it is not blown?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, I don't think I do have a way to check to see if power is getting to the starter. But yes, I checked the fuse and it was still intact. Even switched it out with a different one just in case. No effect. I have power to everthing else. I thought maybe the ignition switch, but all comes on when I switch it on.
Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.
To be able to see what to test we need to know if you have power going to the small wire on the starter when someone trys to start it.