Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Service Manager

How do i compress the rear brake caliper on a 2008 chrysler

Customer Question

How do i compress the rear brake caliper on a 2008 chrysler town and country? It has the rear disc brakes with the emergency brake cable
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
Notes

INSTALLATION

CAUTION: When installing a new brake caliper it is necessary to bleed the brakes using a special procedure which has been integrated to this installation procedure.

1. Remove the outboard pad (5) from the adapter bracket.

CAUTION: Use care when installing the caliper (2) onto the adapter bracket to avoid damaging the guide pin boots.

1. Install the disc brake caliper (2) over the inboard brake pad on the brake caliper adapter bracket and the brake rotor. CAUTION: When removing or installing a caliper guide pin bolt, it is necessary to hold the guide pin stationary while turning the bolt. Hold the guide pin stationary using a wrench placed upon the pin's hex-shaped head.
  2. Align the caliper guide pin bolt holes with the adapter bracket. Install the upper and lower caliper guide pin bolts (1). Lightly tighten the guide pin bolts at this time.

1. Install the banjo bolt (3) connecting the brake flex hose (2) to the brake caliper (1). Be sure to install a NEW brake hose washer on each side of the hose fitting as the banjo bolt is guided through the fitting. Thread the banjo bolt into the caliper and tighten it to 24 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).

1. If removed, install the caliper lever return spring (1) between the cable lever (2) and anchor bracket (3). Do not reconnect cable equalizer at this time.

1. Access the interior of the vehicle, remove the brake pedal holder, then slowly pump the brake pedal until the rear caliper fingers touch the outboard surface of the brake rotor where the brake pad was removed. Release the pedal.
  2. Remove the brake caliper lower guide pin bolt.
  3. Swing the caliper assembly upward, pivoting off the upper guide pin, until clear of the adapter bracket.
  4. Reinstall the outboard pad in the adapter bracket.
  5. Open the caliper bleeder screw at least one full turn.

1. Seat (bottom) the caliper piston in the bore as follows:
    1. Assemble a 3/8 in. drive ratchet handle and an extension (3).
    2. Insert the extension through Special Tool 8807-1 (2).
    3. Place Special Tool 8807-2 (1) on the end of the extension.
    4. Insert lugs on Special Tool 8807-2 into notches in face of caliper piston (5).
    5. Thread the screw drive on 8807-1 down until it contacts the top of 8807-2 which is against the caliper piston. Do not over tighten the screw-drive. Damage to the piston can occur.
    6. Turn 8807-2 with the ratchet, rotating the piston in a clockwise direction until fully seated (bottomed) in the bore. It may be necessary to turn 8807-1 with 8807-2 to start the process of piston retraction.
  1. Close the bleeder screw. CAUTION: Use care when installing the caliper onto the adapter bracket to avoid damaging the guide pin boots.
  2. Return the brake caliper back down over the adapter bracket into mounted position and install the lower guide pin bolt and lightly tighten. NOTE: While bleeding air from the brake caliper in the following steps, be sure to monitor the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir making sure it does not go dry.
  3. Have a helper pump the brake pedal three or four times and hold it in the down position.
  4. With the pedal in the down position, open the bleeder screw at least one full turn and let out fluid and air, if any.
  5. Once the brake pedal has dropped, close the bleeder screw. Once the bleeder screw is closed, release the brake pedal.
  6. Repeat the previous three steps as necessary until all trapped air is removed.
  7. If necessary, bleed remaining wheel circuits as necessary using normal bleeding procedure.See: Brake Bleeding

CAUTION: When removing or installing a caliper guide pin bolt, it is necessary to hold the guide pin stationary while turning the bolt. Hold the guide pin stationary using a wrench placed upon the pin's hex-shaped head.

1. Tighten both guide pin bolts to 35 Nm (26 ft. lbs.).

1. Pull the parking brake cable strand (1) outward from the cable housing and hook it onto the caliper lever (2).

1. Push the excess cable strand back into the cable housing, then insert the cable housing (3) into the mounting bracket (1) until the retainer fingers (2) lock into place. Make sure both fingers are engaged preventing removal of the cable from the bracket.
  2. Reconnect the parking brake cable equalizer and reset the automatic self-adjusting mechanism tension of the parking brake lever assembly.See: Parking Brake System\Service and Repair

1. Install tire and wheel assembly (1)Installation. Install and tighten wheel mounting nuts (3) to 135 Nm (100 ft. lbs.).
  2. Lower vehicle.
  3. Connect battery negative (-) cable to battery post.
  4. Road test vehicle making several stops to wear off any foreign material on brakes and to seat brake pads.
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE certified Service Manager
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This looks like instructions to install a new caliper. I am just changing brakes. I took out the old set of pads, and am trying to compress the piston using a c-clamp. I did not do anything with the parking brake aside from make sure it was off.

I even tried to bleed the piston while I was trying to compress it

Do I need to do anything with the parking brake to be able to compress the piston?
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
You need the special tool as stated in the instructions. 8807-2 is the part number.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tim, the images on this answer are not working anymore, can you fix it? Repost if needed?
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic