Matt Hardy
Matt Hardy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Tech, ASE L1, Jeep/Chrysler Dealer Tech, 18 yrs exp

2006 Chrysler Sebring Touring: wont start..alternator..blow..trunk

Customer Question

2006 Chrysler Sebring Touring won't start and cannot be jump started. The battery is good and alternator is not the problem either. Have had multiple electrical problems with car over they years - horn will blow randomly(had to remove the horn relay to stop it), one of the 12 v outlets does not work, when the trunk is closed a wierd noise can sometimes be heard.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Matt Hardy replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

Please check the fuses in the black fuse box underhood.

There is a yellow, 20 amp fuse that can blow and cause the problem you are describing.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Which fuse? #8 or #23

Definitely check #8.

I'm looking up #23 right now.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's not 8 and 23 does not appear to be blown. What is the ASD relay - it is humming when we try to crank engine

Are you sure the battery is OK?

Do the lights/wipers/blower fan work OK with the key on?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We took the battery out and check it. It's fully charged. The lights and the blower fan work but the wipers do not

Did the connections at the battery seem OK?

This is a common problem on Sebring.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. My husband cleaned all of the connections. We also disconnected the negative cable for over an hour to see if that would help.

OK, to be honest, without any test equipment, I don't see how to proceed any further here.

I was hoping it would be fuse #8, which is a common problem.

I will be happy to answer any other questions you have.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Could it be the starter? It sounds like we're getting power to it but it's not turning.

That is a possibility.

Try tapping on it with a hammer.

Often, that will loosen up a worn starter.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We'll try that. In the meantime, we have a multimeter. Is there anything we can test with that to help you diagnose problem?

Yes. With the key ON, what is the voltage at the jump-start posts under the hood?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
9.7 volts

Is that with the key on, or with the key turned to the 'start' position?

Either way, that is a bit too low.

Have you had the battery tested at an auto parts store?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That's with it in the on position.

9.7 volts is way too low. This has got to be a bad battery. The voltage should be above 12 volts with the key on.

I highly recommend to have the battery load tested.

Most auto parts stores will do this for free.

If it's not too much trouble, check the voltage at the battery terminals, at the battery itself.

Matt Hardy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Auto Tech, ASE L1, Jeep/Chrysler Dealer Tech, 18 yrs exp
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Based on what you've said, my husband will take the battery back out and we'll have it tested at an auto parts store. Thanks for your help.
Thanks. Reply back if you need more help.